GVSU club golf starts on campus

GVL / Courtesy - Aaron Muscaro

Aaron Muscaro

GVL / Courtesy – Aaron Muscaro

Brendan McMahon

Club sports have long been a great way for Grand Valley State students to get involved and play the sports they love while attending college. The combination of fun and competition makes playing club sports a unique way for students to get more involved and enjoy their college experience.

The Grand Valley State club golf team is the newest club sport on campus. But is the cost of joining worth the experience?

The club started in the fall and competed in two tournaments. The Lakers finished in ninth place at their first tournament at Stonehedge Golf Course in Kalamazoo, Michigan and placed fifth in the following tournament at GVSU’s own Meadows Golf Course.

In both tournaments, the Lakers competed against established clubs from large universities such as Michigan, Michigan State, Bowling Green State, Ferris State, Western Michigan and more.

“We didn’t really care what place we finished in, it was still a lot of fun,” said sophomore Jason Kenyon.

The club is less focused on results than the community and culture of the organization. The club now has 11 members and is still growing as it is only in its first year as an organization.

“We’re accepting of all members, no tryout needed,” said freshman Aaron Muscaro.

Not only is Muscaro a club golfer, he also plays a role on the club’s board. He handles plenty of responsibilities, most importantly gaining support from the university and growing the club.

The club board has its hands full with a new, rapidly growing club. The club hurried to gain membership to the Meadows Golf Course just months ago, and also became a new member of the National College Club Golf Association.

Those big developments did not come easy.

“The toughest part was just getting consistent people to join,” said sophomore Matthew Kulie, one of the founding members of the organization.

The club struggled to gain members earlier in the year, making money a problem. Membership to join the club golf team was $50 for the 2015-16 season. Next season, the membership rate is increasing to $400. 

“It’s a pretty good deal,” Kulie said. “For that price you get a membership at the Meadows for unlimited golf and range time.”

Not only does the fee cover golf expenses to play at the Meadows for the whole year, but it also goes to apparel and tournament expenses.

Golf aside; by joining the GVSU golf club, members gain access into a quality community of individuals who enjoy golf.

“It’s a great opportunity especially if you love to golf a lot,” Kenyon said. “It’s serious, but it’s very not serious because we’re all just having fun.”

The club is somewhat optimistic about negotiating the $400 fee even lower, depending on how well it fundraises this spring and summer.

The Lakers have high hopes for their two tournaments coming up this spring season. The first tournament is April 2-3 at Eagle Crest Golf Club in Ypsilanti, Michigan. The second tournament is the following weekend, April 9-10, at Eagle Eye Golf Club in Bath, Michigan.