News briefs

Yardsticks advertising competitions

The annual Yardsticks advertising competition will allow Grand Valley State University students to create their own marketing campaign and possibly have it developed for Macatawa Bank.

Students will work in groups or as individuals to create a marketing campaign that will be judged by a panel of creative directors, designers and marketing officers hailing from an assortment of different companies.

The four finalists will have the chance to intern at Macatawa Bank while working together to create one marketing campaign idea.

The competition will take place at 7 p.m. on Oct. 28 at The Ballroom at City Flats, located at 77 Monroe Center in Grand Rapids.

For more information, go to www.theyardsticks.com.

Science on Tap

Discussions on the well-being of farm animals as well as the link between HIV and tuberculosis are the points of focus during upcoming Science on Tap events.

Hosted by Grand Valley State University biomedical sciences, Science on Tap aims to provide scientific discussions that are also laid back and casual.

The upcoming Science on Tap event, called “The Right Climate for a Saner Diet,” will focus on farm animal treatment as well as ways to improve their harsh conditions. The event is set to take place on Oct. 26 at 7 p.m. in the SpeakEZ Lounge, located at 600 Monroe Ave. NW in Grand Rapids.

Another Science on Tap event, scheduled for Nov. 12, will discuss the relationship between HIV and tuberculosis. This will take place at 8 p.m. at the SpeakEZ Lounge.

For more information about Science on Tap, contact Cara Ocobock at [email protected].

LGBT clothing swap

Grand Valley State University’s LGBT Resource Center will host a free clothing swap as well as a variety of workshops on the evening of Oct. 26.

“Wear the Rainbow: A Trans and Gender Queer Clothing Swap” aims to give individuals within the trans and queer community without appropriate financial support the access to both clothing items and skills that will allow them to feel more comfortable in their own skin.

All sizes and styles of clothing are welcome for donation. Workshops will focus on teaching skills such as binding, packing, make-up, walking in heals and tying a bow tie or regular tie.

The event is scheduled to take place at 9 p.m. at the LGBT Resource Center, located inside the Kirkhof Center.

For more information, contact the Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center at (616) 331-2530.

Passport fair

Grand Valley State University students looking to get a passport can attend the Padnos International Center passport fair on Oct. 27.

Students attending the fair are required to bring a birth certificate or naturalization certificate, a driver’s license or Michigan ID and $135 in the form of two separate checks or money orders- $110 to Department of State and $25 to USPS. Individuals with a GVSU ID can get their photos taken for $3 in cash.

Passport renewals can be paid for with two checks, one for $110 toward the Department of State and the second for $5.75 toward the USPS.

The passport fair will take place from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Room 2215/2216.

For more information about the passport fair, visit www.bit.ly/1GAFjDi.

Grand Valley Journal of History now accepting undergraduate research

The student-run Grand Valley Journal of History is encouraging undergraduate students to submit their own historical research for publication within the journal this fall semester.

The Grand Valley Journal of History allows for any historical research to be submitted regardless of the subject. Anyone looking to get their research published this semester is encouraged to submit their research papers by Nov. 2.

Submission guidelines and other additional information can be found online at www.scholarworks.gvsu.edu/gvjh.