News Briefs: Battle of the Valleys T-shirt presale

Battle of the Valleys T-shirt presale

Battle of the Valleys T-shirts are available for preorder today from noon to 3 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center lobby. Shirts can also be pre-ordered on Nov. 5 and Nov. 7. BOTV T-shirts will be available on Nov. 9. Each shirt costs $9.43, with proceeds going toward the Children’s Fund, this year’s charity.

Battle of the Valleys is an annual competition between Grand Valley State University and Saginaw Valley State University. This year’s competition goes from Nov. 9 through Nov. 15, ending with the rivals facing off on the football field.

For more information about the shirts, contact Bethan Angell at [email protected].

Venderbush Leadership Lecture

The Grand Valley State University Office of Student Life and Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society are sponsoring the biannual Venderbush Lecture at 2 p.m. today in Room 2204 in the Kirkhof Center. This event is LIB 100/LIB 201 approved.

The keynote speaker is Skip Cerier, a professional photographer and entrepreneur who recently started a textile recycling company called Greener Grads.

Registration is preferred. For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/leadership/venderbush-leadership-lecture-2.htm. Contact Valerie Jones at [email protected] with any questions.

Master of Public Health Session

The Grand Valley State University department of public health is hosting its first informational session at 4 p.m. today in Room A-2111 in Mackinac Hall. Another session will occur at 11 a.m. on Thursday, Nov. 6 in Room 211 of the Central Health Sciences building on the Pew Campus.

Ranelle Brew, director of the MPH program, will provide students with information about the degree and application process, which is currently open for fall 2015.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/grad/mph, or contact [email protected] with any questions.

Majors Fair

Grand Valley State University is sponsoring the annual Majors Fair from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesday in Room 2250 of the Kirkhof Center.

Students are encouraged to attend if they are undecided about their major or considering a major change or secondary admission program. The fair is an opportunity for students to network and learn about prospective careers. Faculty will be present to answer questions about their subjects.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/sasc/undecided/major-s-fair-12.htm.

Finance Internship Expo

The Grand Valley State University finance department is hosting the sixth annual internship expo from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesday in the L. William Seidman Center.

Companies that participate in the event include Aflac, Lake Michigan Credit Union, Spectrum Health and Steelcase, Inc.

To register, contact Jo Ann Shelton at [email protected]. For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/finance/seidman-finance-department-internship-expo-49.htm.

GV students dominate advertising competition

Grand Valley State University students took the top prizes at the Yardsticks advertising competition on Oct. 30. Out of 40 students, GVSU students made up three out of the four winning teams and eight out of the top 10 finalists.

The winners will now intern for The Hotel Kitchen in Grand Rapids.