Fall Arts Celebration brings nationally acclaimed choreographer

Alexandria Sprague

The nationally acclaimed choreographer, Lauren Edson will bring a never before seen dance piece to the community for the Fall Arts Celebration. “Memories of Summer: The American Identity in Dance” will be performed with live music Nov. 4 at 8 p.m. in room 215 of the Eberhard Center located on the Pew Campus.

Shawn Bible, the dance coordinator of this event, usually choreographs the dance himself and brings in dancers to join his students. This year he decided to take a different approach and bring Edson in to choreograph.

“It is imperative to bring innovative and award winning choreographers and performers to campus,” Bible said. “Lauren Edson Dancers, is an incredible dance company based in Boise, Idaho, which has been touring nationally. Lauren Edson is the choreographer of her dance company and presents dances that are described as ‘loose-jointed and mock combative.’”

A former Julliard student, Edson’s style is considered modern with infusions of ballet. The piece she has been rehearsing for the past two months was created and will be performed specifically for the Grand Valley State University community.

“She will be taking two iconic American musical compositions – Samuel Barber’s Summer Music, and Knoxville Summer of 1915 and adding her own innovative ideas and her own fresh perspective in translating the imagery of these vital and uniquely American musical masterpieces to dance movement,” said Danny Phipps, department chair.

Another first for the celebration is the live music accompanying the dancers. The GVSU Faculty Orchestra and guest soprano, Christina Pier will be playing alongside the dancers.

The performance will feature three separate pieces, including: Barber’s “Summer Music”, “Summer Music: Knoxville 1915”, and Virgil Thompson’s “The Plow that Broke the Plains”.

The Fall Arts Celebration was created to expose Lakers to different art forms. The dance event, in particular, is put on to help increase the knowledge of dance and dancing styles, as well as to display talent.

“The performing arts, which have a vibrant and balanced presence on our campus, continually add unique qualities and singular viewpoints to the Laker experience,” Phipps said.

This year’s event is focusing on the interpretation of “old America,” Specifically the time when America was first emerging with its identity during the 20th century. The music of this event is considered to be the “American melody.”

“We encourage all Lakers to come out and enjoy an evening of dance live,” Bible said. “We all like to watch in on television through shows such as “So You Think You Can Dance” and “Dancing With the Stars”, but there is nothing like the kinesthetic response of live performance.”