Social Work program announces China study abroad

Megan Braxmaier

The Grand Valley State University Social Work program’s Service Learning course will head to China this year Dec. 5-22, where 12-15 students will be chosen to join faculty leaders in immersing participants in the Chinese culture.

The goal of the program is to give students the opportunity to gain knowledge of the Chinese culture and establish international social work skills to bring with them into the future.

The first week of the trip, students will visit the Forbidden City in Beijing, followed by Tien An Men Square, the Great Wall and other historical sites. Other destinations include Kungmin City, Buddhist Temple, and various hospital and service agencies.

The cost of the trip is $3,400 and applications are first come, first serve and should be turned in before Oct. 1.

A basic Chinese language training workshop will be held on Fridays throughout October and November, an additional post-course session will be held in January. Students may utilize these workshops to sharpen their basic conversation skills. Students enrolled in SW 354, SW 630 are all eligble candidates for the program. Students in the Masters of Social Work program may also utilize this program to fulfill an elective course or an advanced policy requirement.

For more information, contact social work professor Douglas Chung at [email protected], or visit www.gvsu.edu/pic.