Student senate’s diversity affairs committee looks to make campus inclusive to all

Maddie Rhoades

In 2015 the U.S Census reported that Michigan’s population was 79.7 percent predominately white, while the black population was reported at 14.2 percent, Hispanic or Latino at 4.9 percent, Asian at 3 percent and Native American as .7 percent while there was no account of Pacific Islander. 

While in 2015, Grand Valley State University received their campus climate results, a survey taken by GVSU students that helped to analyze the demographics and climate on our campus. These results reported that out of the sample that took this survey, 84 percent of our population identifies as white, while 7 percent identifies as black or African American, 4 percent as Latino or Hispanic and 4 percent as Asian or Pacific Islander. 

Looking at the straight comparison of different race and ethnicity groups that are represented in Michigan, the GVSU results are disproportionate in representation of marginalized groups on our campus. The black/African American GVSU percentage is a little more than half of what Michigan’s population consists of, while other people of color on our campus are not equally represented as well. 

Our climate results also showed that GVSU identified as 32 percent men, 67 percent women and 1 percent transgender. Twenty-five percent of GVSU reported having some sort of disability, 8 percent as LGBTQ and 34 percent identified as some other beliefs or values other than the overwhelming Christian majority. Which when faced with the facts, leads to the question: How does GVSU work to improve the representation of minorities on our campus? 

While GVSU has the Department of Inclusive and Equity, and the five social justice centers on campus, including the newest addition of campus interfaith, the diversity affairs committee on student senate sets itself apart from these institutions, as part of an organization on campus that consists completely of students. 

Diversity affairs on senate is a group of six students elected to the body, by students, to represent and advocate for things like the importance of proper and positive representation of minorities on our campus. Diversity affairs has worked to improve the quality of life at GVSU on campus to make sure that we are a safe space that offers equal opportunity to all as well as equity when needed, to stay as inclusive as possible. 

When GVSU continues to become a safe and inclusive space for all people, then I believe that the representation of minorities on campus will begin to be better presented and accounted for on our campus. 

Projects that the diversity affairs committee has created in the past years to help educate and promote, equality on campus include a resolution for transgender healthcare for students last years, an addition of an interfaith prayer and meditation room, and many speakers and panels on campus to continuously educate the community. These speakers include a feminist spoken word event last year, a panel discussing police brutality, and Eboo Patel speaking on interfaith relations. 

While some of diversity affairs work may go unnoticed, the senators understand that there is no action too big or too small that is not important in our goal of creating a more inclusive and diverse Laker community. Student senators both in diversity affairs and on other committees on the body, put in tremendous effort to work with and advocate for the community, in hopes that we continue to increase the representation of minorities as Lakers, because that means we have made a safer, more inclusive, and diverse campus.