Kirkhof College of Nursing receives $2.2 million grant

GVL+Archives

GVL Archives

Hanna Halstead, Staff Writer

GVSU’s Kirkhof College of Nursing (KCON) received a $2.2 million federal grant from the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to partner with health care organizations in order to transform the nursing workforce and increase the educational opportunities for nurses from disadvantaged backgrounds and underrepresented minorities.

KCON will be partnering with Spectrum Health and McLaren Health Care over the course of four years to provide financial support for registered nurses coming from these organizations and applying for admission to the bachelor’s of science in nursing (RN-BSN), master’s of nursing (MSN), or doctorate of nursing practice (DNP) programs.

Janet Winter, associate dean for Undergraduate Nursing Programs, said that during the duration of the program, approximately 60 nursing degrees will be conferred. Graduates will be able to deliver culturally aligned care and leadership in providing care for medically underserved areas and populations.

The first cohort of students will begin in fall 2021, the second cohort in fall 2022, and the third cohort in fall 2023. Applications are open until August 6, 2021 for the RN-BSN program and the post-MSN DNP program. The application process for the MSN program will begin in 2023.

Not only will the program help those who are underprivileged, but it will also provide individualized student support services, Winter said.

Through the program, GVSU and KCON will provide a dedicated program Student Services Advisor with personal and professional expertise in working with students from disadvantaged backgrounds, enhance student retention plans, incorporate evidence-based practice to address social determinants of health/education in promoting academic success and coach students using evidence-based resilience approaches, Winter said. 

“The grant exemplifies a long-standing commitment that GV has with regard to diversity, equity and inclusion, community engagement and experiential learning,” Katherine Moran, associate dean for Graduate Nursing Programs, said. ” Moreover, the objectives of this grant align perfectly with the work of the university as we ReachHigher2025.”