Quick Hits 11/15

Holly Bihlman, Sports Editor

Women’s Volleyball shuts out Parkside in last match before GLIAC Tournament

The no. 4 Grand Valley State University (17-8) women’s volleyball team traveled to the University of Wisconsin to compete against the Parkside Rangers (8-18) for their last regular season match before the GLIAC Tournament begins on Nov. 17.

For the second time this season, the Lakers were able to shut out Parkside in three sets, starting the first one off with a one-point lead early in the match before an 11 point run to make the score 18-6 led by junior Sarah Wight’s four kills. The Lakers finished up the first set 25-12 and started the second off behind two points until GVSU went on a six-point run. The Lakers took the second with a final score of 25-17 with senior Ali Thompson’s three kills. The last set was led by senior Kaily Grulke and junior Lisa Sullivan with a 7-3 run and four kills each, ending the last match with 25-12 again.

Senior players Thompson and Abby Graham finished the match with eight kills each, followed by Wight with seven and Grulke with six kills and two blocks.

The Lakers will return to the courts on Wednesday, Nov. 17 to compete in the first match of the GLIAC Tournament.

GV Women’s Soccer roster impresses in season-end GLIAC awards

This season’s women’s soccer team played their seventh undefeated season in program history, leaving the regular season with an overall 16-0-2  record. Coach Jim Conlon celebrates his first year with the Lakers as the GLIAC awarded him Coach of the Year, among the seven student-athlete awards that were given to the players.

Awarded First-Team All-GLIAC is junior forward Greta DeLoach, senior defender Cecilia Steinwascher and redshirt junior defender Abby Willerer, with teammates sophomore forward Kennedy Bearden, freshman defender Mia Hansen, senior forward Caitie Baron with Second-Team All-GLIAC. Freshman forward Taylor Reid was given All-GLIAC Honorable mention for her seven goals, nine assists, and 23 overall points.

DeLoach added on to her resume Offensive Player of the Year as she led the GLIAC in goals scored with 19 along with Steinwascher’s Defensive Player of the Year who led the GLIAC in assists.

Conlon was able to lead the team to another undefeated season and maintain their 16th consecutive GLIAC regular season championship succeeding former seven-year coach Jeff Hosler. This season, Conlon saw 13 shutouts while leading the no. 1 overall ranked Lakers to the top team with assists and points per game for Division II soccer, while being ranked fourth in total goals.