STAGE hosts first Variety Show

GVL / Sydney Lim

Colleen Garcia, Staff Writer

Grand Valley State University hosted its first variety show on Feb. 4. Put on by Student Technicians and Actors Guild for Entertainment (STAGE), “Variety Valley” was produced alongside GVSU Groove.  The show included many different genres of talent including singing, live music, acting, comedy, dancing and more. 

Some of the performers from this year’s variety show spoke about their experiences producing the show. Catherine Johnson, a first-year computer science major, was one of them. 

“I’ve been singing and performing for as long as I can remember, it’s hard to think of a time when I didn’t want to be under the spotlight,” Johnson said.

Johnson performed a song named “The Song That No One Likes,” a comedy piece about musical theatre songs that are generally disliked. 

Johnson said that her passion for performing is fueled by support from important people in her life.

“A mix of choirs, community theatre and supportive friends and family have only helped to keep my passion for the arts burning bright,” Johnson said. 

Alex Csenar is a fellow performer and performed “I am the Very Model of a Modern Major General” from the play “Pirates of Penzance.” Csenar has been a part of STAGE for three years. 

GVL / Sydney Lim

Csenar said that while he doesn’t have much background in performing, he still enjoys it. 

“I’ve been practicing it since the summer just for fun, but when I heard about the variety show I knew I needed something juicier than just singing, and this song shows off my delivery and speed well,” Csenar said.

Csenar said that the club is always changing and growing and that this year was the fullest its been since the pandemic started. 

STAGE hopes to make the variety show an annual event and will be hosting a full-length play open to all later this year. Auditions for the next STAGE event will be held in February and all GVSU students are invited to audition. 

“We’d love to have you,” Johnson said. “If you join you’ll be joining one of the most fun, vibrant and inclusive communities on campus.”

Csenar said that students looking to audition shouldn’t be intimidated, as STAGE welcomes all skill levels, interests and experience in theater.

If a student thinks they’d want to get involved with theatre but are nervous about judgement, this club is the perfect place to start,” Csenar said. “STAGE doesn’t turn anyone away no matter their experience.”

STAGE club meets weekly at 7 p.m. on Thursdays. All students are welcome to attend their shows and audition. More information can be found at the GVSU Theatre website.