Quick Hits 11/14

Anthony Clark Jr., Sports Editor

GV football secures GLIAC title in final regular-season game

Grand Valley State University defeated Davenport University 49-7 on the road to cap off an illustrious season thus far (11-0) and crown themselves as the 2022 GLIAC Champions. 

Last Saturday’s first two quarters saw the Lakers execute their ground-pass game plan to a tee as their first possession of the game ended in a touchdown – creating the snowball effect for the remainder of the game (six plays, 59 yards, touchdown by senior Jack Provencher).

GVSU’s second touchdown of the first quarter came off an explosive 55-yard run by junior Tariq Reid, as the last score by the Lakers resulted from a field goal attempt by DU blocked by junior Seth Hoonhorst and a 45-yard return by sophomore Grant Hart (21-0). 

A bomb pass by junior quarterback Cade Peterson to sophomore Jaylon Tillman (88 yards), a blocked punt attempt by redshirt freshman Jimmy Downs and returned by junior Cole Patritto (10 yards) and a 17-yard rush by Peterson all resulted in three scores for GVSU and closed the first half score 42-0.

Although the second half saw a scoreless fourth quarter entirely, both sides of the ball managed to secure a touchdown: one-yard rush by the Panthers, 13-yard rush by Reid.

In total, GVSU racked up 417 yards on just 45 plays (263 rushing, 154 receiving). Leading the team in just about every game, Peterson logged 154 yards on eight of 13 pass attempts (two touchdowns), with Reid finishing with two scores on six rush attempts (90 yards).

The Laker defense allowed 309 total yards by DU while 16 Lakers added to the total 38 individual tackles (one recorded sack by Johnanthony Lowery for a loss of six yards).

Poised against a tough stretch for a potential championship, the Lakers are ranked No. 1 overall in the GLIAC and NCAA DII leaderboards. This top position also gives GVSU home-field advantage in the first round of the postseason.

GVSU received a first-round BYE in the NCAA Playoffs as they begin their postseason run on Saturday, Nov. 26 at Lubbers Stadium.

Women’s soccer club preparing for national tournament 

With a 7-3 record in their regular matchups, the GVSU women’s soccer club managed to punch their ticket into the 2022 National Tournament.

The schedule has yet to be finalized as far as who the Lakers are facing in the first round, but the tournament will officially commence on Thursday, Nov. 17. Depending on how far the Lakers are able to advance, the second and final rounds will be played on the following two days (Nov. 18-19).