Quick Hits 11/28

Anthony Clark Jr., Sports Editor

GV students hosting annual Rally with the Rapids

Grand Valley State University’s sports management students from the SPM 376 course are hosting the annual Rally with the Rapids basketball fundraiser this week.

Organized by Directors Ally Bayes and Kenleigh West-Wing, the event is an effort to provide the opportunity for two Special Olympic teams from both Grand Rapids and Big Rapids to participate in a professional sports atmosphere.

The GVSU dance team, members of the university’s pep band and cheerleaders will also be in attendance as any and all GVSU community members are welcome to come and support free of cost.

Giveaways and raffle opportunities will also be included for attendees as all proceeds collected through donations, raffles and sponsorships will help to reach the overall goal of $3,000 that will be distributed between both teams.

The basketball game will be held at the GVSU Fieldhouse on Nov. 30 at 7 p.m.

A look ahead at the remaining 2022 calendar events

With weekly sports coverage coming to a close for the semester, here’s a glimpse at what teams will continue their action with the winter break around the corner:

Both women’s and men’s basketball teams begin GLIAC action in a two-game road trip against Ferris State University (Dec. 1) and Lake Superior State (Dec. 3) while hosting their crosstown rival Davenport University on Dec. 11 with tip-off at 1 p.m. (women’s) and 3 p.m. (men’s).

The swimming and diving program will also participate in the Calvin Invitational for their final meet of 2022 that begins Dec. 1-3 as the men’s and women’s teams have an overall record of 4-2. GVSU were dominant in their previous invite at Calvin (Oct. 14) as the final scores tallied 192-50 (women’s) and 165-75 (men’s).

Track and field will commence its 2022-23 indoor season in the GVSU Holiday Open at home on Dec. 9 starting at 1 p.m., followed by another home stand in the GVSU Multi Field Event on Dec. 16-17.

Last but not least, the cross country teams will compete in the NCAA National Championships in their quest to complete the hat-trick of GLIAC Champions, Midwest Regional Champions and national champs. The men’s team is the reigning national champion as the women’s team will hope to redeem themselves from last season’s second-place finish.

Information related to GVSU athletics can be found at gvsulakers.com.