Arts & Entertainment Briefs 10/9

GV Symphony Orchestra to perform

Grand Valley State University’s Symphony Orchestra will be performing on Oct. 11 at 7:30 p.m. The performance, which will take place in the Louis Armstrong Theatre in the Haas Center for Performing Arts, is free and open to the public. 

The concert, conducted by Joel Schut, Ph.D., includes compositions by Nkeiru Okoye, Franz Joseph Haydn and Alexander Borodin. 

Wealthy Theater to screen Halloween movies

As part of their Tuesday Film Series, Wealthy Theater will be playing Halloween films weekly throughout the month of October. 

On Oct. 10, “The Blair Witch Project” will be shown. Doors open at 7 p.m. and the movie begins at 8 p.m. 

GV VMA holds styrofoam gravestone workshop

Grand Valley State University Department of Visual & Media Arts will be holding a workshop on Oct. 13 for attendees to make customized styrofoam tombstones. The gravestones will later be displayed in front of the Calder Art Center (CAC). 

The event, which will be held in CAC Room 1208 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., is open to anyone who would like to attend. Materials will be provided.

Speaker to discuss depictions of marine life in Greek art 

Professor Emily Egan will be speaking about depictions of marine life in Late Bronze Age Greek art. The presentation will be on Oct. 11 from 6 to 7 p.m. in Lake Ontario Hall Room 164. 

According to the event webpage, “The painted forms offer rare insight into the thought processes and working methods of Greek Bronze Age artists.”

Egan’s research focuses on the depiction of the argonaut, a type of octopus. Her work suggests they were royal symbols within art. 

Language Resource Center hosts Just Dance tournament

The Grand Valley State University Language Resource Center (LRC) is holding a “Just Dance 2” tournament on Oct. 9 at 9 p.m. in their office, MAK D-2-221.

The game night is part of their monthly tournament series. 

Ceramics exhibit opens at Grand Rapids Art Museum

“Underneath Everything: Humility and Grandeur in Contemporary Ceramics” is an exhibit on display at the Grand Rapids Art Museum (GRAM) until Jan. 14, 2024. 

The exhibit, which opened on Oct. 7, aims to “honor the humility of the medium (clay) while simultaneously evoking a sense of grandeur and possibility,” according to the GRAM’s website

An artist advisory committee collaborated with the Des Moines Art Center to organize the exhibition. Essays by exhibit curators will be featured in an illustrated catalog for attendees to read more about the displayed works.