Arts & Entertainment Briefs 10/16

Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park holds tapestry workshop 

Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park will be hosting a metal wall tapestry workshop on Oct. 17 from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. The event is inspired by the work of sculptor El Anatsui, named one of TIME’s 100 influential people of 2023. 

Meijer Gardens’ Curator of Arts Education, Amber Oudsema, will be instructing the event. Aluminum cans will be provided to attendees for use in their tapestries. The workshop aims to discuss environmentalism and consumerism through art. 

More information about the cost of attending the workshop is available on Meijer Gardens’ website

GV Wind Symphony to perform on campus

Grand Valley State University’s Wind Symphony will be performing on Oct. 18 at 7:30 p.m. The concert will take place in the Louis Armstrong Theatre in the Haas Center for Performing Arts.

Kevin Tutt, Chair of the Department of Music, Theatre and Dance and music professor, will be conducting the performance, which includes compositions by William Grant Still, Kelijah Dunton and David Gillingham.

LGBT Resource Center to hold Sappho presentation

The LGBT Resource Center will be hosting, Diane Rayor, Ph.D.,– author and translator of a 2023 publication of Greek poet Sappho’s complete works. Rayor’s presentation will run from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Oct. 18. 

This is Rayor’s second time speaking at Grand Valley State University, as she was hosted by the resource center last year to speak on Sappho. 

Host of a Discovery Channel show set to come to Grand Rapids

Josh Gates, host of the Discovery Channel series, “Expedition Unknown” will be coming to the DeVos Performance Hall on Oct. 22 at 6 p.m. 

Gates’ stop in Grand Rapids is part of the tour, “Josh Gates Live! An Evening of Ghosts, Monsters and Tales of Adventure.” According to the DeVos Performance Hall, the live event will discuss “paranormal encounters to legends of cryptozoological creatures.”

More information can be found on the DeVos Performance Hall’s webpage

Grand Rapids Art Museum to explore the symbolism of color

The Grand Rapids Art Museum (GRAM) will be holding a Gallery Chat on Oct. 17 from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. to discuss the symbolism of color. Staff members will be stationed by various works of art to educate on the use of color to depict emotion.

According to the GRAM, “In this Gallery Chat, explore artists have used color to communicate emotions and messages through various techniques and combinations.”