Arts and Entertainment Briefs 10/23

PSMH to host Haunted Storytelling Night 

The Professional Society for Minorities in Honors (PSMH) will be holding a Haunted Storytelling Night on Oct. 25 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Two professional storytellers from Story Spinners, a local storytelling group, will be joining PSMH to share spooky tales. 

The event will take place in Niemeyer’s Multicultural Room. In addition, cookies and hot chocolate will be provided.

Sonora Winds to teach master classes at GV

Sonora Winds, a traveling woodwind group, will be holding a guest artist residency on Oct. 25 at Grand Valley State University. A quintet master class will be held at 8 a.m. followed by a 9 a.m. oboe course. Bassoon and clarinet classes will both take place at 10 a.m. Finally, a concert will take place at noon. 

More information can be found on the event’s webpage

GV Department of Writing hosts a student reading series

Grand Valley State University’s Department of Writing is inviting students to share their writing at an open event on Oct. 26 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. The event will be held in Niemeyer Room 222 (Honors Reading Room). 

The Student Reading series is a monthly reading of student work that culminates in the Senior Showcase at the end of the semester. According to the Department of Writing’s website, anyone is welcome to attend and share their work as long as it is literary in nature. 

Stargazing night to take place at Blandford Nature Center 

The Grand Rapids Amateur Astronomical Association will be joining Blandford Nature Center to host an astronomy night. “Starry Night at Blandford” will allow participants to utilize telescopes for viewing Saturn, Jupiter, the moon and various constellations. According to Blandford Nature Center, all ages are welcome. Those in attendance are encouraged to bring blankets, lawn chairs and binoculars. 

Pre-registration through the center’s website is encouraged. There is a $7 cost for adults in attendance. 

Workshop to discuss ethics of artificial intelligence

The Grand Valley State University Library’s Digital Creator Lab will be partnering with the Atomic Object Technology Showcase for its third workshop on artificial intelligence (AI). The session will be held in Room 216 of the Mary Idema Pew Library on Oct. 26 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. 

According to the event information, attendees will “explore how to write queries in order to use these new tools (AI) effectively.”