Arts & Entertainment Briefs 10/30

Film screening to explore background of Calder sculpture

The documentary “Pour le Peuple” (2022) will be screened on Nov. 1 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Loosemore Auditorium on the GVSU Pew Campus. The film’s screening is a partnership between the Hauenstein Center’s Common Ground Initiative and the GVSU Art Gallery

“Pour le Peuple” is a documentary that details the history of Alexander Calder’s sculpture, “La Grande Vitesse,” located in Grand Rapids. According to the GVSU Events webpage, “The film explores the politics of the sculpture’s ownership, control, polarizing community response and the essential role citizens and community play in public art.”

Nate Harris, the film’s director, will be speaking and participating in an open Q&A after the screening. RSVP is required.

University Arts Chorale to perform

The Grand Valley State University’s University Arts Chorale will be having a concert on Nov. 1 at 7:30 p.m. in the Cook-Dewitt Center. 

The performance will be conducted by the choir’s director, Chuck Norris. The University Arts Chorale is a SATB choir, which includes soprano, alto, tenor and bass voice types. 

Admission will be free.

NIARA to hold Xtreme Hip Hop fitness meeting

NIARA will be holding a meeting on Nov. 2 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. that includes a discussion and activities on women empowerment, as well as an Xtreme Hip Hop fitness session. The meeting, which will be held in the Kelly Family Sports Center on the GVSU Allendale Campus, will include instruction by Danay Tibbs, an Xtreme Hip Hop teacher. Wearing comfortable clothes is encouraged. Light food and refreshments will be provided.

NIARA is a program run by the Center for Women and Gender Equity. According to the program’s webpage, the group was made to “increase a sense of community and belonging, centering the experiences of those that identify as women of color.”

CAB to host interactive Rocky Horror Picture Show 

Campus Activities Board will be having an interactive showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show on Nov. 7 at 7 p.m. in Kirkhof Center’s Grand River Room. Before the movie, a costume contest will take place and the first 100 people to arrive will get an interactive goodie bag. Popcorn and drinks provided by AOD will be available. 

Theatre at Grand Valley to hold open auditions

Theatre at Grand Valley will be holding auditions for three upcoming productions– “The Birds,” “Radium Girls” and “Tracks” on Nov. 2 and 3. According to the audition sign-up information, auditions will consist of cold reads from the three scripts.

“The Birds,” written by Conor McPherson and directed by Bridgett Vanderhoof, will be a production of Theatre at Grand Valley. The show’s performances will be Feb. 22-24. 

“Radium Girls,” written by D.W. Gregory and directed by Hannah Cooke, will be a production of the Performance Studio Series. The show will be performed on Jan. 24-26.

“Tracks,” written by Peter Tarsi and directed by Molly Fenn, will be a production of the Performance Studio Series. The show’s performances will take place Jan. 24-26.