News Briefs 10/30

GVL+Briefs
GVL Briefs

“Friends” actor Matthew Perry found dead

Matthew Perry was best known for his role “Chandler Bing” from the hit TV show “Friends.” Admired and charming, the character brought comedic relief and witty banter to the cast.

Authorities responded to a call around 4 p.m. to Matthew Perry’s home, where he was discovered unresponsive. The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing, did not cite a cause of death. There was no sign of foul play, however, some sources say Perry died of a possible drowning. He was 54.

Perry was found in a hot tub with no evidence of any illegal substances on the scene. The actor has admitted long-time struggles with substance abuse disorder, and many speculate it could be related to his death.

In his 2022 memoir “Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing,” Perry recounted his lifelong struggle with addiction to alcohol and opioids, which led to multiple stints in rehab and a number of serious health issues. He acknowledged during a “Friends” reunion special in 2021, that his substance use disorder was partly fueled by the pressure to land the joke in front of a live studio audience night after night, according to MLive.

Announcers recounts GV football play-by-play in Spanish

Elio Benitez and Miguel Esparza are GVSU football fans that make the commute to campus every game to showcase their love of the sport and the team.

Benitez and Esparza are the only Spanish-language broadcasters in the nation to call games for a Division II football team, according to GVSU’s Athletics Department.  The GVSU Athletics Department and Deputy Director of Athletics Doug Lipinski worked together to broaden the Lakers’ appeal with a growing Hispanic/Latino population on campus and in West Michigan, and create a position for the pair to share game-related commentary according to GVNext.

According to the 2020 U.S. Census, more than 75,000 Kent County residents were of Hispanic descent. That is a 29 percent increase over a 10-year span, according to MLive.

The 2023-2024 year marks the largest population of Hispanic/Latino students ever at GVSU, according to the university records. Hispanic/Latino students account for 7.6% of GVSU’s 22,269 students this year, and compose a part of the most diverse student population the campus has ever experienced.

The first game Benitez and Esparza announced for this year, GVSU vs. Colorado State, the Lakers beat the Pueblos, 57-49, in double overtime. This was the first game the pair had ever board cast in their college football announcement careers, making it both a memorable game and a step in the right direction for inclusion in West Michigan. Most recently, Benitez and Esparza covered the GVSU homecoming game against Michigan Technological University.

Fans can tune in to Esparza and Benitez’s broadcast for GVSU home games on La Poderosa 93.3 FM, 810 AM in Grand Rapids.