Arts & Entertainment Briefs 11/13

LGBT Resource Center to host local history discussion

The Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center will be holding an Open Door Discussion on local LGBT history on Nov. 14 from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Focusing on Grand Valley State University and Grand Rapids history, the event will feature a short presentation and an open discussion. 

According to the event webpage, a Zoom option is available for the discussion as well. 

GV Music Program to hold “CORNOcopia: An Evening of French Horn Music”

“CORNOcopia: An Evening of French Horn Music” will take place in the Sherman van Solkema Recital Hall in the Thomas J. and Marcia J. Haas Center for Performing Arts on Nov. 16 from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. 

The GVSU Music Program’s website said “‘Corno’ is the Italian word for Horn” and that “a ‘Cornucopia’ is the ‘horn of plenty.’” This connects the title to the content of the event where there will be “plenty of Horn music!”

Cinespace to screen “No Country for Old Men”

The Grand Valley State University Department of Visual & Media Arts will be screening “No Country for Old Men” (2007) on Nov. 15 from 6:30-9 p.m. as part of the Cinespace film screening and discussion series. 

The screening, which will take place in Lake Michigan Hall 114, will be hosted by Professor Spencer Everhart of the GVSU Film and Video Production program. 

GV Opera Theatre presents “Rent”

Grand Valley Opera Theatre will be performing the musical “Rent” in the Linn Maxwell Keller Black Box Theatre in the Haas Center for Performing Arts. The performances on Nov. 17 and 18 will be at 7:30 p.m., while the show on Nov. 19 will be at 2 p.m. 

“Rent” written by playwright Johnathan Larson, will be directed by Diane Machin for GVSU’s performance.

According to the GVSU Department of Music, Theatre and Dance, “Rent” is the “winner of the 1996 Pulitzer Prize in Drama and the Tony Award for Best Musical. This revolutionary musical follows the lives of young New Yorkers living and loving under the shadow of HIV/AIDS.” 

OMA to hold discussion on health inequity

Grand Valley State University’s Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) is holding a discussion on health inequity in people of color on Nov. 15 from 12-1 p.m.

The event aims to discuss racism in medical settings, inequality in healthcare, segregation in city zoning and lack of medical education on POC. The open conversation will be run by a facilitator to ensure an inclusive and educational dialogue. 

The presentation is part of OMA’s “Conversations of Color” series, dialogues that are “open and honest discussions about race, popular culture, identity and current events,” according to the GVSU events web page