Arts & Entertainment Briefs 11/20

ArtPeers to hold free “Barbie” screening

ArtPeers, a Midwest art collective, will be holding a free screening of “Barbie” at the Four Star Theatre on Nov. 24 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. The showing is part of the “Films 4 Free” series and will be followed by a panel discussion.

Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park to host carolers 

Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park will be bringing the Original Dickens Carolers to sing throughout the holiday season, beginning on Nov. 28 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Attending the performance is included in the cost of admission.

According to their website, the Original Dickens Carolers are Grand Rapids’ premier Victorian caroling company and have performed throughout Michigan since 1991.

The 1975 to perform at Van Andel Arena

Pop rock band The 1975 will be performing at Grand Rapids’ Van Andel Arena on Nov. 22 at 7:30 p.m. The show will be opened by indie artist Dora Jar. Tickets are still available online for the show.

Laker Saxophone Studio to perform solo recitals

The Grand Valley State University Saxophone Studio will be performing solo recitals on Nov. 20 at 7:30 p.m. The performances will take place in the Solkema Recital Hall in the Haas Center for Performing Arts.

Record Store Day Black Friday returns

The annual Record Store Day, run by the organization of the same name, will be holding special Black Friday promotions. Limited edition vinyl releases will be available at select locations, in addition to activities organized by individual stores. A list of participating record stores is available on Record Store Day’s website.

“Hip Hop Nutcracker” to be performed at DeVos Performance Hall

“Hip Hop Nutcracker,” an adaptation of the classic ballet, will be performed at the DeVos Performance Hall on Nov. 26 at 7:30 p.m. The show will feature a guest performance by hip-hop artist Kurtis Blow.

According to the DeVos Performance Hall’s website, the show will include a “powerhouse cast of a dozen all-star dancers, an on-stage DJ and an electric violinist who turns the beloved ‘Nutcracker’ score on its head.” 

Tickets can be purchased at the box office or online

“Bugs” exhibit open at the Grand Rapids Public Museum

Bugs” is an interactive exhibit on display through Feb. 4, 2024, at the Grand Rapids Public Museum. 

The exhibit, designed by the celebrated New Zealand museum Te Papa and Academy Award-winning film studio Wētā Workshop, aims to provide an engaging experience to learn about the roles of bug species and their ecosystems. 

According to the Grand Rapids Public Museum’s website, the exhibit is “organized around four immersive chambers, where visitors experience the astounding talents of four extraordinary insects.”