Winter semester stress mounts for many students

GVL / Ella McClintock

As the winter 2024 semester is in full swing at Grand Valley State University, deadlines, workloads and schedules can get very hectic for students. Many students feel the second semester of the school year can be more stressful than the first, due to gloomy weather, mid-winter exhaustion and shorter periods of sunlight. Managing school, personal lives, jobs and extracurricular activities can be incredibly stressful for many students.

An obvious contributing factor to college students’ stress are classes and coursework. The average, full time student tends is typically enrolled in 12-15 credit hours per semester. Generally, for each hour spent in class there is an expectation of two to three additional hours of coursework necessary outside of class time. If every course follows this expectation, students will have about 30-45 hours of homework each week.  

Constrictive homework hours can restrain what students have time for and can often cause heightened stress.

“I am an Eboard member for Renaissance Fair Club and an avid top player of Dungeons and Dragons, therefore I lose about five to seven hours of daylight or healthy working hours (to those things),” said sophomore student Kay Boyle.

GVL / Ella McClintock

College students balance many different factor into their schedules beyond classes and homework: jobs, extracurricular activities and maintaining a social life. With many responsibilities, down-time in the average college student’s life often dwindles away.

Several students deal with the stress of creating a work-life balance. Sophomore student Rachel Vander Plaats said balancing everything between work, school, personal and social life is very important to maintaining personal happiness.

“There are only 24 hours in a day, it’s as simple as that,” Vander Plaats said. “I think it is all about balance and stress is just your brain telling you that you are out of balance.”

Many students wish professors would be more understanding of students’ stress. Sophomore student Jennifer Bushey said having a lot of homework contributes to the stress they feel, and it feels like mounting homework fills what little time they have left.

“Professors should chill out and not assign so much homework when I have other classes and a job to think about,” Bushey said.

Consistency, communication and understanding between professors and students could help students succeed through the trials of winter semester.

GVL / Ella McClintock

“I think it would be nice for professors to have an understanding for students with jobs. My weekends are already filled trying to make money so I can keep going here,” Vander Plaats said. 

Students who are struggling with their mental health or academically can find resources through GVSU at the University Counseling Center and other tutoring services.