GV graphic design students tackle contemporary issues in upcoming exhibition

Eleven students in Grand Valley State University’s ART 415– Graphic Design Senior Project class will have the opportunity to display their designs in the class’ group exhibition beginning April 17. Titled “Resolution,” the exhibition will feature creative solutions to modern challenges, such as climate change, social structure, community and self-improvement.  

For their project, students are required to incorporate various elements of graphic design to address issues of their choosing. Utilizing their knowledge of marketing, research, project management and presentation, the students create aesthetically pleasing hypothetical products that attempt to solve their chosen issues.

Carson Murphy, a senior graphic design student at GVSU, said her project aims to address growing problems within the fashion industry, specifically fast fashion and sustainability. Titled “Earth Friendly,” Murphy said her project uses thrifted clothing with custom embroidery as an alternative to fast fashion. By reusing and repurposing old garments, Murphy said she can reduce her carbon footprint and create new, unique pieces.

“I chose to tackle fast fashion because every time I open social media there is a new ad for a new clothing company, such as Shein, Romwe, Temu, etc.,” Murphy said. “I have some previous knowledge about how fast fashion has negative impacts on the environment, and after doing more research, I learned that it (fast fashion) is a large problem that most people choose to ignore.”

Murphy said she was inspired by small businesses and other artists who were already exploring thrifted clothing in their work. Additionally, Murphy said her love for creating “wearable” and “functional art” was key in deciding the direction of her design. 

“I know a lot of people in Gen Z love thrifting because it is more affordable, and (thrifting is) also just something fun to do with your friends,” Murphy said. “This (‘Earth Friendly’) is also helping the environment, by practicing sustainability and repurposing clothing and accessories in great condition without having to buy new every time. I thought, what better way to do this than to design unique clothing and help the planet at the same time?”

Another project in the exhibition, “Phose,” envisions a photography application that helps users with their self-confidence. Developed by Kiana Baker, a senior graphic design student at GVSU, the app attempts to boost the user’s self-confidence while taking photos by assisting them with posing and presentation. 

Baker said she was inspired to create “Phose” after observing how apprehensive people are about having their photo taken. Much of the apprehension, Baker said, comes from a lack of self-confidence that often stems from the unfair comparisons made to models and social media influencers. Baker said photography can help people achieve a positive self-image, which she believes is a valuable asset for people in their everyday lives.

“This (Baker’s app) enables them (users) to amass outstanding photographs for sharing and preserving memories while fostering a positive self-image,” Baker said. “My overall goal is for users to shed concerns regarding external judgment and recognize that they can exude the same level of confidence and aesthetic appeal as anyone else.”

“Resolution” will run from April 17-18 in the Haas Center for Performing Arts Gallery, then will return for a three-day run from April 22-24. A reception for the exhibition will be held in the gallery from 5-7 p.m. on April 18, which students and members of the GVSU community are encouraged to attend.