GV is in need of scooter safety

Editor’s note: Peter Wampler is a professor of geology and hydrology at Grand Valley State University. The opinions expressed in this piece are his own.

I am all about people using electric scooters and other mobility devices in a safe manner on campus, however there is no policing of behavior and many are taking advantage and driving these electric devices in an unsafe manner on the campus walkways and roads. I am afraid it is only a matter of time before someone if seriously injured or killed in a collision.

I was recently walking from Kirkhof to Padnos in the morning on a crowded sidewalk. Out of nowhere my arm was almost wrenched out of it’s socket by an electric scooter driver that sideswiped me. The driver did not stop and did not even seem to notice that he had sideswiped me traveling at a high rate of speed. It is also common for scooters to approach a crosswalk at a high rate of speed and cross at high speed leaving vehicle drivers with little or no warning to yield to the “pedestrian.”

I am not sure what the solution is to this problem but a solution is needed. Perhaps speed bumps along main walkways to slow electric vehicle traffic? It would also be helpful to have public safety give out a few warnings and even tickets to those driving in an unsafe manner on the sidewalks. There are responsible users of electric vehicles on walkways, but there are also those that are careless and dangerous.

This is conversation we need to have.

Sincerely,

Peter Wampler