News Briefs 3/9

Sean Cauvet, News Editor

Coronavirus spreads across the globe

According to the CDC, there are 164 total cases of the coronavirus in the United States, with 110 of those still under investigation. The states with the most cases are Washington (70) and California (45), with smaller numbers of cases known in 17 other states.

There are no known cases in Michigan as of now, but the rest of the world is already being affected by it. Due to the new and unknown nature of the virus, many citizens have been put in a frenzy and are trying to figure out how to stay safe.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends that citizens make sure to wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds, clean high-traffic surfaces daily, avoid close contact with people that are sick, avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth, stay home when sick and cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and throw it away. Lastly, the CDC urges people to only use facemasks if they have the virus and don’t want to spread it.

Academy of Hospitality and Tourism wins governors award

Per Dottie Barnes, Associate Director of News, Grand Valley State University’s Hospitality and Tourism Management (HTM) program was established in 1977 in response to the need for professionally trained managers. The HTM program offers a Bachelor of Science degree with emphases in: food and beverage management, lodging management, meeting and event management, recreation and leisure management, and tourism management.

“Now, the Academy of Hospitality and Tourism at Ottawa Hills High School in Grand Rapids has been recognized by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer for innovation and collaboration,” Barnes said in a press release.

The new college-career prep academy opened in fall 2019 and is a partnership with Grand Valley State University’s Hospitality and Tourism Management Department, Grand Rapids Public Schools, Experience Grand Rapids, and AHC+Hospitality.

Experience Grand Rapids received the Governor’s Award for Innovative Tourism Collaboration February 19, during the 2020 Pure Michigan Governor’s Conference on Tourism held in Grand Rapids.

“This academy is a wonderful step in expanding options for students and maintaining the talent pipeline in West Michigan,” Grant said at a news conference in 2018 announcing the academy. “It will build awareness of the many varied professional opportunities, competencies, and hard and soft skills needed to succeed at the management and executive level.”