Quick Hits 8/31

Recreation and Wellness hosts Recfest 2020 online

Grand Valley State University’s Recreation and Wellness Center will soon be hosting Recfest again in 2020. On Sept. 13, from 4-7 p.m., students will be able to attend virtually. 

Students can RSVP for the event on Laker Link. At Recfest, students can learn about special events, clubs, programs, and employment opportunities. Other topics covered during this online event will be fitness services, student wellness, outdoor activities and intramural sports. 

Former GVSU TE Nick Keizer improves chances to make it to NFL

Tight end Nick Keizer graduated from GVSU in 2017. He played for the Lakers football team for three seasons, catching 45 passes for 734 yards and 11 touchdowns. He was an excellent player and blocker with the Lakers during his time at GVSU but went undrafted in 2018. He was on the Baltimore Ravens’ practice squad until he was cut and eventually picked up by the Kansas City Chiefs in 2019. 

Keizer was a member of the practice squad for the Chiefs all of last year. This training camp, however, he’s been given a big opportunity to make the team. Keizer has been playing with the first team and gaining praise all around the roster. Quarterback Patrick Mahomes, head coach Andy Reid and fellow tight end Travis Kelce have all commented on his blocking ability and the energy Keizer brings to the field. 

Keizer has a good chance to make the Chiefs roster and to be their number two tight end behind Kelce. If he does make the roster, Keizer will join linebacker Matthew Judon and cornerback Brandon Carr as the only former GVSU players active in the NFL. 

Alex Thole commits to GVSU for football

Schoolcraft Eagles quarterback/cornerback Alex Thole has committed to GVSU. The 2021 graduate will play football with the Lakers next year.

Last year, Thole was a First Team All-State passer in high school. He threw for 2,999 yards with 38 touchdowns and only three interceptions. Tholes’ father, Joe, played defensive back for the Lakers for four years in the late 1980s. With no high school football this year, Tholes will have to continue his training on his own to be prepared for the Lakers in 2021. 

NFL News and Fantasy Drafts 

Any NFL fans or fantasy football players don’t fret – the Lanthorn has you covered with any offseason information. On the Lanthorn website, articles have been posted all summer over each NFL division and what players were added to teams. This week the NFC West will round out the coverage. Check it out to stay informed and to maybe help in fantasy football leagues.