GV provides in-person, virtual options to celebrate Halloween

GVL / Britney Watkins

Trevor Hubert, Staff Reporter

As the month of October rapidly comes to a close, the Grand Valley State University community is gearing up for the spookiest day of the year. Just like everything else, Halloween will have a different look and feel on campus in 2020, with virtual and in-person events hosted by the university.

GVSU’s “Haunted Week” kicks off Oct. 26 with costume and pumpkin carving social media contests hosted by the Campus Activities Board. Tuesday features an online performance by magician and comedian Trent James and Wednesday includes a virtual interactive Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Wednesday is also the first day where in-person Halloween events begin, starting with a dance party at Lubbers Stadium. To ensure a safe event, face coverings and an RSVP will be required from those attending.

Events continue into Thursday and Friday with pumpkin decorating at Zumberge Pond and a showing of “Hocus Pocus” at the Kelly Family Sports Center.

Those who are truly in the Halloween spirit can take a haunted walk through the Arboretum on Friday or Saturday night. The Haunted Arboretum is the first event of its kind for GVSU, and those who are brave enough to attend will come face-to-face with zombies, dementors and other spooky characters. Unlike other haunted mazes and houses in West Michigan, this one is free to attend.

While some on campus still have concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic, it seems likely that Halloween gatherings will carry on in some form. Whether the guidelines are actually followed or not remains to be seen.

Halloween is also a time for traditions, as one GVSU student on Reddit mentioned that they will continue their tradition of throwing a pumpkin off the Little Mac Bridge, proving that everybody has their own unique way of celebration.