News Briefs 11/2/20

Olivia Fellows, News Editor

GV COVID-19 campus data update

Since GVSU began conducting random testing on campus Aug. 27, the cumulative total COVID-19 cases since August 1st is 1,105. The university’s update of data used for this brief was from Friday, Oct. 30.

Through testing results this past week, GVSU’s Virus Action team have so far reported 79 current active cases including 8 faculty member cases, 10 staff members, 10 on-campus students, 34 “off-campus Ottawa” students, and 14 “off-campus Kent” students, 3 “off-campus other” students with active COVID-19 cases.

“Current active cases” is the count of positive cases reported to the Virus Action Team over the past ten days.  This is an estimate of those currently in isolation, assuming a ten-day symptomatic period following the reporting of a positive test result. Actual periods of isolation are specific to the individual and determined by the county health department.

Testing and Incidence: GVSU’s own testing program has performed 19,364 tests overall since August 21, for a positivity rate of 0.28% from the latest update as of the last week.

“GV Surveillance” includes the GV/Spectrum administered programs of: randomized testing, regular testing of high-risk groups, and invited testing of individuals connected to potential clusters. A calendar is available. “GV Total” includes surveillance testing plus all symptomatic/exposure tests administered by Spectrum.

Shots fired, several vehicles hit in Allendale apartment complex shooting

According to reporting from WOODTV, on Sunday, Nov. 1, Ottawa County Sheriffs responded to a call of shots fired in Allendale early Sunday morning.

Police say deputies arrived at Enclave Apartments around 2:53 a.m. and found that 8-15 shots were fired and four vehicles had been hit by bullets. Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department said that they have interviewed witnesses and collected evidence at the scene to identify and locate suspects in the shooting, but no arrests have yet to be made.

No injuries happened as a result of this incident, and it remains under investigation by the Ottawa County Sheriff’s detective bureau.

The Lanthorn will be following this story as it develops.

MDHHS releases guidelines for voting safely

To ensure Michigan voters remain healthy and reduce the spread of COVID-19 during the Nov. 3 general election, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) has released recommendations for voters, poll workers and election officials.

“Michigan citizens can cast their ballots safely and with confidence in this election,” said Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson. “All election workers are required to wear masks and all voters are strongly encouraged to do so. Voters who already have absentee ballots can drop them off at their city or township clerk’s office or ballot drop box. Voters can also go to their local clerk’s office through Nov. 2 to vote early by requesting and submitting an absentee ballot.”

All registered voters may vote early by visiting their city or township clerk’s office through Nov. 2. There they can request, fill out and submit an absentee ballot all in one trip, or take their ballot home to fill out and sign the envelope before returning it to one of their jurisdiction’s ballot drop boxes by 8 p.m. on Nov 3. Election workers, who are required to wear masks, will ask voters to show photo ID.

When you vote or return your ballot, practice healthy behaviors to protect yourself and slow the spread of the virus. These behaviors include wearing a mask that covers your mouth and nose, washing your hands before entering and after leaving the polling location, frequently using alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol while in the polling location, covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue or the inside of your elbow, and maintaining at least 6 feet of distance from others.

If you are sick or concerned you have been exposed to COVID-19, seek medical care. If you don’t have an absentee ballot, contact your local election office for guidance about voting options.