News Briefs 11/9/20

Olivia Fellows, News Editor

GV COVID-19 campus data update

Since GVSU began conducting random testing on campus Aug. 27, the cumulative total COVID-19 cases since August 1st is 1,911. The university’s update of data used for this brief was from Friday, Nov. 6.

Through testing results this past week, GVSU’s Virus Action team have so far reported 146 current active cases including 9 faculty member cases, 12 staff members, 26 on-campus students, 52 “off-campus Ottawa” students, and 41 “off-campus Kent” students, 5 “off-campus other” students with active COVID-19 cases.

“Current active cases” is the count of positive cases reported to the Virus Action Team over the past ten days.  This is an estimate of those currently in isolation, assuming a ten-day symptomatic period following the reporting of a positive test result. Actual periods of isolation are specific to the individual and determined by the county health department.

Testing and Incidence: GVSU’s own testing program has performed 21,173 tests overall since August 21, for a positivity rate of 0.52% from the latest update as of the last week.

GV offering free flu shots for students

In preparation for winter and the coming of flu season, Grand Valley State University is being proactive and offering seasonal flu shots to students free of charge. Shot locations include the Kelly Family Sports Center in Allendale and the Exhibition Hall at the Pew Grand Rapids Campus.

Testing at the Sport Center will occur Monday Nov.16 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Tuesday Nov. 17 from 2-6 p.m. The Exhibition Hall testing will take place Wednesday Nov. 18 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Students can register for a time slot on the university’s website, and will get a confirmation email for their appointment. On coming to the location, students are required to bring their GVSU student ID with the, be ready to show their “green heart” daily COVID-19 self-assessment completed that day.

COVID-19 social distancing protocols and sanitation will be in place to ensure safety. Masks are required and your temperature will be taken prior to entry. A consent form can be filled out on site, students may read and bring the form in signed, or sign after questions are answered on site by the Meijer team.

GV Virus Action Team releases testing and Thanksgiving break information

As the Thanksgiving break nears, Grand Valley State University’s Virus Action team released some information regarding guidelines for keeping safe while traveling home for Thanksgiving.

Students are encouraged to practice enhanced safety measures for 14 days prior to the break, which begins Nov. 25. Beginning Nov. 10, students should consider only leaving their residences to get food or medicine, attend classes, go to work or exercise.

Some specific holiday safety strategies the Action Team highlighted were to avoid large gatherings, wearing a face covering, washing hands and practicing social distancing, avoiding contact with those who have symptoms or tested positive, avoiding exposing others, and getting tested before you return to campus or immediately when you return.

COVID-19 testing is available for those who come to campus at least one day each week. Testing will take place Nov. 9-19. One test per person will be paid for by the university.

Testing for people who do not have symptoms or who have not had direct exposure to someone with COVID-19 will take place on the Allendale and Pew Grand Rapids campuses. Those eligible will receive an email with a link to schedule an appointment and additional details.