Quick Hits 11/9

Zack Goodrow, Sports Editor

NEW COVID-19 CASES COULD AFFECT WINTER SPORTS POTENTIAL

As of right now, GVSU and the GLIAC are sticking with their original pandemic plan, which means that on Jan. 1, 2021, both organizations will reassess the landscape of the pandemic and if it’s viable to once again bring back sports competitions. While optimism may have been better as GVSU’s and the country’s COVID-19 case numbers dropped, it hasn’t been the same starting last week. 

Nov. 6, marked the highest total of new contracted COVID-19 cases per day in the country with 132,797 cases. 4,287 of those cases came from Michigan. In Kent county, there were 376 new cases. Currently at GVSU, there are 146 active cases. 

If the number of cases continues to trend in the wrong direction as the weather cools and winter approaches, it will be hard to see a scenario in which sports are in fact played. This past week has shown new heights that the pandemic can take. If the situation was bad when fall sports were cancelled, it may even look worse now.

There is room for optimism however, as every Laker, fan, coach, and student athlete wants sports to be played. The GVSU Athletics Department and the GLIAC board will have to make a very tough and diligent decision come the beginning of the new year.  

GVSU TEAMS CONTINUE TO KEEP BUSY 

Many GVSU athletics teams have stayed busy training and practicing for the past few weeks.

The volleyball team just had a black and blue scrimmage in the Fieldhouse Arena last week. The swimming and diving team began inner-team racing. The football team has begun 11 on 11 padded practices. Men and women golfers are competing in tournaments around Michigan and soon the country.

Lakers teams are making the most of the circumstance they’re in and will continue to vamp their practices as the year progresses.

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PLAYOFF SCORES 

• Grandville 35, Traverse City West 0 
  • Rockford 42, Hudsonville 7
  • Caledonia 55, Lowell 38
  • Muskegon Mona Shores 28, Grand Rapids Forest Hill Central 25
  • East Grand Rapids 63, Holland 26
  • Holt 43, Grand Ledge 36
  • Novi Detroit Catholic Central 37, Novi 0 
  • White Lake Lakeland 41, Howell 40
  • Grand Blanc 42, Clarkston 35
  • Canton 35, Livonia Stevenson 28

FANTASY FOOTBALL RANKINGS 

QB: Patrick Mahomes 207.1, Russel Wilson 206.06, Kyler Murray 195.58, Josh Allen 179.58, Tom Brady 10.16

RB: Alvin Kamara 195.7, Dalvin Cook 161.9, Derrick Henry143.6, Ezekiel Elliot 138.1, James Robinson 133.6

WR: Tyler Lockett 148.5, Calvin Ridley 148.1, D.K. Metcalf 144.4, DeAndre Hopkins 143.4, Tyreek Hill 142.1

TE: Travis Kelce 143, Darren Waller 98.2, George Kittle 98.1, T.J. Hockenson 87.1, Robert Tonyan 85.4

K: Randy Bullock 78, Younghoe Koo 75, Dan Carlson 73, Ryan Succop 73, Wil Lutz 70

DEFENSE: Indianapolis Colts 82, Baltimore Ravens 80, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 74, Pittsburgh Steelers 74, Kansas City Chiefs 72