A&E Briefs 11/16

Mary Racette

Jariah Higgins performs at CAB Coffeehouse Concert

It’s that time of year when students need a change of scenery from their usual study spot. On Monday, Nov. 16, the GVSU Campus Activity Board (CAB) invites students to Coffeehouse Study and Paint Night. Students are encouraged to bring their homework and enjoy the chill coffee house atmosphere. The event will include free food, live music and painting from 8-10 p.m. in the Grand River Room. 

Jariah Higgins will be the artist performing live at the event. While he performs at venues and universities around the country, Higgins is a singer-songwriter based in Tampa, Florida.

In his performances, Higgins is known to perform a combination of beatboxing, soulful vocals and looping harmonies. His performance will be at the center of the Coffeehouse Study and Paint Night, entertaining the audience and providing music that will help them relax. 

Students attend watch party for Jeff Scheen’s comedy livestream

CAB provided virtual and in-person entertainment for students who like to laugh. On Thursday, Nov. 12, stand-up comedian Jeff Scheen streamed a set for GVSU students. CAB threw a watch party in Kirkhof Center on GVSU’s Allendale campus.

Students were given the option of watching the streamed show on campus with their peers, but they could also attend the watch party virtually. At the in-person event, CAB provided candy and donuts.

Scheen is based in Chicago, Illinois, but this is not his first time connecting with the West Michigan area. Among the multiple comedy festivals he has participated in, Scheen has performed at LaughFest in Grand Rapids. He has also been featured on the FOX series “Laughs.”

The Grand Rapids Ballet performs business as (un)usual

Ballet continues to entertain the Grand Rapids community, even during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Grand Rapids Ballet performed its usual world-class ballet, but in an unusual way. Individual virtual tickets were sold on the Grand Rapids Ballet website and viewers were asked to purchase one ticket per person watching the virtual performance. In addition to Business as (un)Usual, the ballet’s 2020-21 season includes other virtual programs such as The Nutcracker experience and Collective Force. Business as (un)Usual will run Nov. 13-15. 

The program included world premieres by Princess Grace Award Winner and Beyonce choreographer Darrell Grand Moultrie, Artistic Director James Sofranko and Company dancer Yuka Oba-Muschiana. Christopher Stowell’s pas de deux “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” that was postponed from the 2019-20 season will also be included in the program along with works by Resident Choreographer Penny Sauders and Company Dancers Gretchen Steimle and Matthew Wenckowski.