Quick Hits 1/19

Zack Goodrow, Sports Editor

Swimming and diving team wins first meet of season 

The GVSU swimming and diving team won their first competition of the 2021 season against the University of Findlay. The Lakers men’s team won 193-91 and the women’s team won 209-77. 

The women’s team was especially impressive as they won all 16 events they competed in. They were led by Delaney Wihebrink, who set a new pool record in the 100-meter breast by finishing first with a time of 1:03.11. Wihebrink again set another pool record, along with fellow swimmers Melina De Cort, Alysa Wager and Emma Bliss in the 200-medley relay. They finished the race clocking in at 1:44.25. 

The men’s team finished one event short of a full sweep as well, as they won 15 events. They featured familiar winners in events like Oscar Saura-Armengol, who won the 50-meter freestyle (20.80) and 100-meter fly (49.08). Keegan Hawkins also made his presence felt by winning three events: the 100-meter breast (57.04), the 200-meter breast (2:04.22) and the 200-meter IM (1:52.43). Freshman Eric Heiber won his first two events as a Laker in the 1,000-meter freestyle (9:22.53) and the 500-meter freestyle (4:33.77). 

Track and field qualify 18 players 

The GVSU track and field team wrapped up their first event of the new year at the Bob Eubanks Open. The women received seven NCAA Division II provisional qualifications and the men received one automatic qualification and ten provisional marks. 

Allie Ludge won the mile race with a time of 4:50.23. Olivia Brian took first place in the 3,000-meter with a time of 9:48.52. Nicole Sreenan won two events in the open, placing first in the 60-meter (7.51) and the 200-meter (24.11). In the long jump event, Angelica Floyd took first with a jump of 5.49 meters. 

Caleb Futter (4:06.26), Dennis Mbuta (4:09.15) and Connor Schwartz (4:10.55) took the top three spots in the men’s mile run. Justin Scavarda received the only automatic qualification for the Lakers. In the shot put event, Scavarda received his qualification on an 18.55 meter throw. 

GV represented in GLIAC South Players of the Week 

Both the men’s and women’s basketball teams at GVSU were represented last week as they received GLIAC honors. Christian Negron and Emily Spitzley were named the GLIAC’s Players of the Week. 

Spitzley has been impressive so far this season in the starting lineup for the Lakers, especially in their victories against Saginaw State. In her first ever start for GVSU, Spitzley contributed 17 points and nine rebounds. To follow up that performance, she recorded her first ever double-double the very next day with an 18 point and 12 rebound game. So far this season, she is averaging 15.3 points per game and 7.8 rebounds per game. 

Christian Negron also won his first ever GLIAC Player of the Week award. During the men’s teams opening weekend, Negron was essential to their sweep of Saginaw State. In the first game of the weekend, Negron scored 12 points and added in 11 rebrounds. He followed up that performance by scoring a career high 25 points with 12 rebounds and four blocks in the next game. So far this season, Negron is averaging 18.5 points per game, 11.5 rebounds a game, and three blocks per game.