News Briefs 2/1/2021

GV COVID-19 campus data update

The GVSU community has had a cumulative total of 2,223 COVID-19 cases since Aug. 1. The university’s update for this brief was from Friday, Jan. 29.  

Through testing results this past week, GVSU’s Virus Action team have so far reported 45 current active cases including 1 faculty member case, 5 staff members, 6 on-campus students, 22 “off-campus Ottawa” students, 10 “off-campus Kent” students and 1 “off-campus other” student with active COVID-19 cases.

“Current active cases” is the count of positive cases reported to the Virus Action Team over the past ten days.  This is an estimate of those currently in isolation, assuming a ten-day symptomatic period following the reporting of a positive test result. Actual periods of isolation are specific to the individual and determined by the county health department.

Testing and Incidence: GVSU’s own testing program has performed 41,936  tests overall since August 21, for a cumulative positivity rate of 1.92% from the latest update as of last week.

“GV Surveillance” includes the GV/Spectrum administered programs of: randomized testing, regular testing of high-risk groups, and invited testing of individuals connected to potential clusters. A calendar is available. “GV Total” includes surveillance testing plus all symptomatic/exposure tests administered by Spectrum.

Virus Action Team updates GV community that safety protocols still pertain to vaccinated individuals 

The time has come where several members of the GVSU community have either been vaccinated or have already contracted the virus earlier in the pandemic. However, the Virus Action Team has stated that these individuals are not exempt from following safety protocols on campus. 

Along with their update, the Virus Action Team outlined a reminder of the current self-assessment and face-coverings policy. All members of the community are still expected to fill out the online self assessment daily. Face-coverings are required on campus and they must cover the mouth and nose when inside. They also must be worn outside when not alone. In order to stop the spread of the new COVID-19 variant, the Virus Action Team stated that the combination of face-coverings and social distancing is the best protection against the new COVID-19 variants.

Two university faculty members announce June retirement

Vice President for University Development Karen Loth and University Counsel Tom Butcher are set to retire this June. Both members of faculty have been with GVSU for decades, throughout the growth and development of the university.

Loth joined the GVSU community in 2000 and was promoted to her current position in 2012. Her June retirement will cap off her over 20 years or work with GVSU. She also serves as an executive director for the Grand Valley University Foundation. During her time on campus, she is credited to helping raise over $350 million for students. She has also worked in a leadership position for The Laker Effect Campaign, raising a record-setting amount of funds.

Butcher has been with the GVSU community for almost four decades, joining in 1982. He started working for GVSU as the personnel officer and legal affairs assistant, later becoming the first in-house general counsel in 1989. Along with his years of providing legal advice and assistance to the GVSU community, he is also a Fulbright Fellow and has lead the university through many important legal transactions, such as real estate transactions for the Health Campus.

Patricia Smith, current Associate Vice President and Deputy General Council, will be stepping into the general council position following Butcher’s retirement. GVSU will be conducting a national search to fill Loth’s position.