Quick Hits 2/15

Zack Goodrow, Sports Editor

GVSU women’s basketball extends winning streak to eight games 

#11 ranked GVSU women’s basketball team (12-1) swept Northern Michigan University (7-6) this weekend. GVSU is now on an eight game winning streak but they are still tied with Michigan Tech University atop of the GLIAC standings. 

In the first game of the weekend, the Lakers beat the Wildcats 61-34. Their dominant win was led by freshman Rylie Bisballe who scored 16 points and grabbed five rebounds. Freshman Ellie Droste finished with 12 points. Juniors Hannah Kulas and Samantha Gehrls also added eight points each. 

The Lakers bench was on fire in this game, outsourcing the Wildcat’s bench 35-8. GVSU also showed up on the defensive side of the ball, forcing NMU to commit 21 turnovers. They also limited NMU to shooting 27.9% from the field and 21.1% from deep. 

In the second game of the weekend, GVSU had another assertive win, outscoring NMU 58-32. Droste scored 12 points and made two 3-pointers. Junior Brooke McKinley added another ten points in the contests. 11 players from GVSU scored points in this matchup. 

The Lakers offense and defense were both working well in this game. This was the lowest point total the Lakers have held a team to since last year. After a slow start to the game, the Lakers offense picked up and went on an 11-0 run. GVSU entered the second half leading 29-14. The Lakers had 11 steals and forced the Wildcats to commit 18 turnovers. They forced NMU to shoot 27.9% from the field and 21.1% from three. 

GVSU track and field makes D2 history at Big Meet 

Both of the Laker’s distance medley relay teams broke school records last weekend at the Big Meet. The women’s DMR team consisting of Klaudia O’Malley, Nicole Sreenan, Taryn Chapko and Allie Ludge finished with a time of 11:21.12. They beat the GVSU record by over two seconds. 

The men’s DMR team not only beat the GVSU and Kelly Family Sports Center field record, but they also broke the D2 record for the race. The team consisting of Dennis Mbuta, Jackson Blanchard, John Groendyk and Caleb Futter finished the event with a time of 3:39.38. They beat the previous record set in 2017. 

Other top finishers from the event include Corrina Courser (8.95) in the 60 meter hurdles,  Marcedes Chandler (24.96) in the 200 meter, and Franesha Robinson-Mitchell (17.40m) in weight throw. For the men’s team, Hunter Harding (19.48m) won in the weight throw competition.