A&E Briefs 2/22

Mary Dupuis

Grand Rapids brings dreams of sunshine to residents with new alley activation 

As part of Downtown Grand Rapids Inc.’s continuous efforts towards alley activation and the World of Winter Festival, new art has been installed in the alleyway on Studio Park’s Ionia Ave. entrance. 

Called “Sunshine Alley,” residents are invited to come and enjoy a “mini-vacation” in the tropical-themed alleyway. 

With inner tubes and beach balls strung from wall to wall and streamers hung in between, people are encouraged to grab a bite to eat and nestle next to the heaters while dreaming of warmer days ahead. 

Grand Rapids art installations promote love, financial support 

A new project scattered throughout downtown called the “Have A Heart” installation consists of 12 colorful 4-by-6-foot heart-shaped pieces created by 14 local artists. 

Each heart represents a non-profit organization that has been struggling to find sufficient financial resources and support during the pandemic. 

Viewers are invited to scan the QR codes included at the installations to make financial donations to support the organizations. The artwork will be on display through Feb. 28. 

Grand Rapids also installed a “Path of Encouragement” on the south lawn of the Grand Rapids Public Museum as a way of offering pick-me-ups for challenging winter days. 

Each art piece displayed offers words of motivation and love, such as, “If you see good in someone speak it,” “Nevertheless, you persisted,” and, “You got this.”

GV students celebrate Black History Month in numerous ways

Grand Valley State University’s Campus Activities Board (CAB) and the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) are coming together to celebrate Black History Month with students this week during a movie and trivia night. 

The event will be held on Feb. 22 at 7:00 p.m. in the Pere Marquette room in Kirkhof or on Zoom. There will be a prize for the student who wins first place at trivia. Students are asked to RSVP on Laker Link before attending. 

Students are also invited to stop by Kirkhof to learn about seven of the “Divine Nine” National Pan-Hellenic Council (a governing body for historically African-American fraternities and sororities) that have chapters at GVSU. 

GVSU’s Division of Student Affairs have also been using their weekly newsletter to highlight historical Black figures who have played a significant role in shaping and influencing the United States. 

GV Campus Activities Board plans quietest disco students will ever attend 

The Campus Activities Board (CAB) at Grand Valley State University has planned a virtual silent disco event for students. 

Taking place on Feb. 26 from 8:00-9:30 p.m. on Zoom, students are invited to find their favorite playlist created on CAB’s Spotify account to rock out to in the safest way possible while still having some fun. 

Students are asked to register for the event on Laker Link to get the Zoom link to attend.