Quick Hits 9/7

Holly Bihlman, Sports Editor

Women’s soccer shuts out both opponents in first week of play

On Thursday, Sept. 2, the women’s soccer team made a promising start to their 25th season with new head coach, Jim Conlon, in a 4-0 shutout against the Lindenwood University Lions. The no. 9 ranked Lakers jumped right in to their first game, starting with junior forward, Greta DeLoach’s first corner kick of the year and goal at the 25-minute mark. Later in the first half, DeLoach scored her second goal, followed by two more goals in the second half scored by redshirt sophomore forward, Chantel Carranza and freshman midfield, Mackenzie Jones.

On Saturday, Sept. 4, the lakers went on to play the University of Findlay Oilers, once again ending the game in a 2-0 shutout. The Oilers put up a fight, only allowing to goals scored in the backend of the second half with sophomore forward, Kennedy Bearden at the 64-minute mark. To end the game, freshmen midfield, Stephanie Sturgeon scored her first goal.

This weekend the Lakers will travel to Warrensburg, MO to compete against Northwest Missouri State on Friday, Sept. 10 and Central Missouri on Sunday, Sept. 12.

GV football team captains announced

Right before the beginning of the fall season, the Grand valley State University football team announced their three team captains for the year. Senior running back, Bryce Young-Walls, senior defensive line, Dennis Johnson, and junior wide receiver, Hunter Rison are all taking on the leadership position this season.

Young-Walls has seen a lot of game-time action, playing in fifteen games between his sophomore and junior years, earning his third varsity letter in 2019. Johnson also earned his third varsity letter in 2019 along with First-Team All-GLIAC and Defensive Lineman of the Year with 24 tackles that season. Rison will be playing his first season with GVSU after playing for Michigan State University his freshman year in 2017 where he caught 18 passes for 223 yards and 36 passes for 60 yards and seven touchdowns at Fullerton College in 2019.

These three impressively accomplished players will be leading their team with game-time experience and veteran confidence through the 2021 fall season.

GV quidditch team prepares for season

The Grand Valley State University Grindylows Quidditch club appeared at Campus Life Night to recruit members for their 2021 season. Their first practice was Aug. 30 from 6-8 p.m. in the Kelley Family Sports Center, and they’re already preparing for their first tournament at Michigan State University. The club has been around for several years, hosting their first Midwest Regional tournament back in 2014, qualifying as the 11th seed in the U.S. World Cup Tournament for the second year in a row. The Grindylows will begin their season at MSU to kick off the 2021 quidditch season.