A&E Briefs 9/7

Mary Dupuis

GV Writers Series will return with diverse authors, unique experiences for students

Grand Valley State University’s annual Writer’s Series is set to bring a talented and diverse array of writers to the university once more. 

GVSU’s Writer’s Series invites writers from various genres to interact with students and speak about their writing experiences. This year the series will begin on Fri., Sept. 24 and will conclude on Mon., April 4, 2022. 

The Sept. 24 event begins at 12:00 p.m. with guest writer Deesha Philyaw and will conclude with guest writer Tommy Dean on April 4. Other guest writers include Sejal Shah, Nandi Comer, Sumita Chakraborty, Chuck Carlise, Brandon Rushton and Sarah Einstein.

GVSU Associate Professor of Writing and organizer of this year’s Writer’s Series, Amorak Huey, said that he tries to bring in writers that he feels will best help, and leave a lasting impact on, university writing students. 

Read more at www.lanthorn.com.

GV holds door decorating event for students in dorms

The Grand Valley State University FMHC Student Council will be holding a free door decorating event for students living in the dorms. 

On Tues., Sept. 7 from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. students are invited to head to Niemeyer MPR for a night of door decorating festivities. 

Students are required to RSVP to the event on LakerLink before attending. 

The “Ecliptic” in downtown GR gets a makeover

Significant rehabilitation is currently being done on The Ecliptic at the Rosa Parks Circle in downtown Grand Rapids. 

Known as the heart and soul of the city, over 750,000 people make their way through the park and piece of art each year. 

Improvements to the beloved site include the removal of the older “cast stone material” rings/seating and replacing it with granite, new trash receptacles, new lighting, new wayfinding signage, a new drinking fountain and water bottle filler, and more. 

The park is expected to reopen in Oct. or Nov. of this year. 

GV Model Entertainment Club holding auditions

Grand Valley State University’s Model Entertainment Club will be hosting their fall 2021 auditions for all students.

On Sat., Sept. 18 from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. in Cook Dewitt all students are invited to audition to be part of the club. Females are asked to wear a solid colored top with black bottoms and heels, and males are asked to wear a solid colored shirt and jeans. 

The club’s goal is for students who are interested in modeling, fashion, fashion design, photography, and the beauty industry a venue to showcase it. 

According to the club’s biography on LakerLink, their aim is to provide student models with opportunities to enhance their skills through fashion shows and beauty seminars. 

No prior modeling experience is required, and students are asked to RSVP on LakerLink before attending.