Quick Hits 9/13

Holly Bihlman, Sports Editor

Women’s Softball announces five fall games

The conclusion to last season for the women’s softball team ended in triumph as they made it into the College World Series for the second year in a row, falling to no. 1 ranked Augustana University on the third day of the tournament. The Lakers now step up to the plate for five games this fall season with three of them at home. Their first games took place in Westfield, Indiana on Sunday Sept. 12 against Marian University and Northern Kentucky.

This Sunday, Sept. 19, Muskegon Community College and Valparaiso University will play the Lakers on the GVSU Softball Field, also facing off against each other in between GVSU’s doubleheader games. Finally, the Lakers will finish off their fall season on Oct. 1 against Aquinas College. Several returning players, including senior pitcher, Hannah Beatus, will be using their extra eligibility this season, aiming to make it into the College World Series for a third year in a row.

GLIAC Player of the Week: Cate Brown

Last week, the GLIAC Players of the Week included junior defender, Cate Brown, on the women’s soccer team. Brown contributed to an impressive freshman year at GVSU, appearing in 20 games her first season, making history by now allowing any goals past her in the regular GLIAC season.

Brown’s defensive skills helped the team to their 13th straight GLIAC Tournament crown in a row and their sixth National Championship. Last year, the season was cut short due to COVID-19, but Brown still clocked 175 minutes of game time and went to their 14th straight GLIAC Tournament title. Under new coaching staff, Jim Conlon, the Lakers hope to maintain their successes and redeem themselves after a year lost to the pandemic, bringing home another GLIAC title.

GV alumna, Chelsea Brehm, honored at Whitecaps game 

Over the Labor Day weekend, Chelsea Brehm, a Grand Valley State University alumna and leader in women’s sports, was recognized as one of four women who have made a difference in sports. On Sunday, Sept. 5, the Whitecaps audience took a moment to snap a few pictures of Brehm with Roxy the River Rascal as she accepted flowers.

Brehm graduated from GVSU in 2010 with a B.A. in Physical Education and an emphasis in Sport Leadership, later getting her M.Ed. in Adult Higher Education to work in the GVSU Sports Management department for a few years. She also worked at Grand Rapids Community College and Wester Michigan University for various teaching jobs in the sports department.

The Whitecaps honored Brehm for her advocacy for women in sports, as she is the organizer of the National Women and Girls in Sports Day at GVSU which has been celebrated on Feb. 2 since 1987 after the progress made by Title XI. Brehm currently holds the head coaching position for the FarOut Volleyball Club after playing volleyball and basketball as a kid.