A&E Briefs 10/11

Mary Dupuis, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Grand Rapids Public Museum welcomes renowned spokesperson and scientist for lecture

The Grand Rapids Public Museum recently brought American scientist and autism spokesperson Dr. Temple Grandin to Grand Rapids for a lecture. 

Grandin was featured in Downtown Grand Rapids Inc.’s 2019 Rad Women public art project, where 27 local female-identifying artists were commissioned to paint portraits of influential women on electrical boxes throughout the downtown area. 

She is vocal about the humane treatment of livestock as well as an author of more than 60 scientific papers on animal behavior. 

Grand Rapids Art Museum prepares to host Halloween tour

The Grand Rapids Art Museum (GRAM) will be hosting an evening tour of the museum’s eeriest artworks for Halloween. 

On Oct. 28 from 6:30-7:30 p.m., the “Superstitions in Art” tour will feature tales and superstitions from the histories of various cultures, and detail how they were expressed through artwork. 

Visitors will be taken on a journey through the galleries to hear haunted legends and folklore told by the GRAM staff. 

Guests will receive a special souvenir and a coupon for a later visit. 

Tickets can be purchased in advance through GRAM’s website. The registration deadline is Oct. 25. 

GV Music, Theatre, Dance Department hosts Oboe Master Classes

Grand Valley State University’s Music, Theatre and Dance Department is bringing in three performers from the Grand Rapids Symphony for Oboe Master Classes throughout the 2021-2022 school year. 

On Oct. 11 from 6:00-8:00 p.m., Nov. 1, and March 28, Kathleen Gomez will be at the Sherman van Solkema Recital Hall in the Haas Center for Performing Arts to teach a class. 

Gomez plays the oboe and English horn, and has been a member of the Grand Rapids Symphony since 1981. 

She received a Bachelor of Science in music education from the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse and  Master of Music in woodwind instruments from the University of Michigan. 

Gomez has performed with the Chicago Civic Orchestra and the Chicago Symphony.

She also teaches private lessons at Grand Rapids Community College and Calvin University.

GV Shakespeare Festival opens auditions to students

The Grand Valley State University Shakespeare Festival is opening their auditions for the show “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead,” directed by Diane Machin, to all GVSU students. 

On Oct. 14 from 6:00-10:00 p.m., Oct. 15 from 5:00-9:00 p.m., and Oct. 16 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the Keller Black Box in the Haas Center for Performing Arts.

Students are asked to wear clothes they can move in and prepare a one-minute memorized Shakespeare monologue.

Participants are asked to sign up for a slot ahead of time at the link:  https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f4faba62da0fbc16-rosencrantz.

Callbacks will be held on Oct. 23 from 1:00-3:00 p.m. If you get a callback, you will receive a phone call.