GV Women’s Soccer takes eleventh win of the season in the Battle of the Valleys

GVL+Archives

GVL Archives

Josh Carlson, Staff Writer

The no. 1 Grand Valley State University (11-0-1) women’s soccer team fought until the very end of the match against Saginaw Valley State University (6-2-2) on Friday Oct. 15 to pull out their eleventh win of the season in the Battle of the Valleys.

Coach Jim Conlon was proud of his girls for battling through some trials that this match brought and knows this match will be one that helps his team come time for postseason play.

“It was a really high-quality soccer match,” Conlon said. “Field conditions were a little squishy for both teams, and I think that impacted the play of both teams to get into their rhythm. But again, just proud of our resolve and response to the situation at hand.”

Although the Lakers pulled out a win, it didn’t come easy for them as they uncharacteristically headed into the second half down 1-0. Conlon told the girls in the halftime meeting to stay calm and search for a way to stick to Laker soccer.

“The message was to find a way to play our style regardless of the conditions,” Conlon said. “While both teams are trying to find their feet, so to speak, with the style of play that the day was dictating; we just tried to stick to the style of play that we were capable of doing. Execute our style of soccer, and it led to three second-half goals.”

Heading into that second half, the Lakers got a spark from the GLIAC’s leading goal-scorer, junior forward, Greta DeLoach just a minute into play tying the game 1-1. DeLoach has found her rhythm and place on the team and has been a huge contributor to the Laker offense.

“I think we have got a great group of women that all have different gifts to them,” Conlon said. “And trying to put the best unit on the field regardless of what various talents they bring in. So just really excited for her, along with all of her teammates to give what they have to the team for the best team success.”

After the DeLoach goal, sophomore forward Kennedy Bearden joined the action with a goal at the 62-minute mark from an assist by senior defender Cecilia Steinwascher. SVSU wouldn’t  go away easily after tying the game once again in a late-game 83-minute goal from Reegan Kingpavong, making the score 2-2.

Then, with only minutes remaining in regulation, freshman forward Taylor Reid followed a deflection and scored her second game-winning goal of the season to get the Lakers the 3-2 win and push the no.1 Lakers to 11-0-1 on the season.

Conlon has talked this season about learning from practice and games to get better every time the Lakers suit up to go on the field. Conlon said this match had a great thing to take on for the rest of the season.

“Obviously we found ourselves down one, and then tied late in two different times in the game, and they just stick together and find a way to get a way to get that result,” Conlon said. “I think that’s a really important piece. Making sure that even though the situation has our backs against the wall, that we find a way to be there for each other and not against each other.”

The Lakers will play their seventh home game this Friday, Oct. 22 against Michigan Tech University (8-4).