Quick Hits 10/18

Holly Bihlman, Sports Editor

GV Cross Country takes first at Jayhawk Invitational 

The men’s cross country team traveled to Norton Shores, MI for the Jayhawk Invitational, ending the meet with three Lakers in the top ten finishers. Coming in first place on Saturday, Oct. 16 was redshirt freshman Scott Spaanstra with a time of 25.48.92, followed by redshirt freshman Justin Hill in second with 26.15.00. Freshman Foster Thorburn, rounded out the top ten finishers in fifth with a time of 26.35.44. The Lakers had another three runners in the race, totaling out to 36 points with Lansing and St. Clair County Community behind them in the top three spots.

The women’s team had a few personal bests on Saturday, starting with junior Jeannee Hill coming in fifth with a PB of 19.18.62. Redshirt freshman Paige McLoon also ran her PB with a time of 19.29.64 for seventh place, followed by Kaylee Thompson in tenth and Cameron Cleveland in fifteenth. The women did not have a team score, but this weekend marks the beginning of the cross country GLIAC Championships, starting Saturday, Oct. 23 against Saginaw Valley State University.

GV Swimming and Diving sweeps Lewis in home pool

As the Grand Valley State University swimming and diving teams begin their winter season, both the men’s and women’s teams took down Lewis University on Saturday, Oct. 16 for their second competition so far. On the women’s team, the overall score was 180-47, taking first place in all of the 13 events. The Lakers stole the first three places in the 1,000 free, the 200 free, the 200 IM, the 1-meter diving, the 100 fly, the 100 free and the 100 backstroke, while both of the relay teams took first in the 200 free and the 200 medley.

The men’s team had just as much luck on Saturday, scoring 151-75 with first place spots in 10 of the 13 events. The 1,000 free, 200 free, 50 free, 1-meter diving, 100 fly, 100 back, 500 free and 3-meter diving all had first place individual finishers, with both relay teams securing first as well. This weekend, the GVSU swimming and diving teams will compete against Saginaw Valley State University on Friday, Oct. 22, and Calvin University Saturday, Oct. 23.

GV Women’s Soccer continues win streak with number 12 of the season

For their twelfth game overall and their eighth game in the GLIAC, the Grand Valley State University women’s soccer team took down Northern Michigan University (6-7) on Sunday, Oct. 17. The no. 1 ranked Lakers competed on the home field for Alumni Day and a 4-3 win.

An early goal in the first half by NMU was answered by DeLoach with a goal just before the halftime break to tie up the score 1-1.  As the second half began, NMU put another goal in the net, followed by another goal by DeLoach to tie the score up once again, but senior forward Catie Baron put hers in the net to put the Lakers in the lead 3-2. One more goal from NMU was quickly diffused by DeLoach’s second hat trick of the season for the final goal of the game.

GVSU’s next game will take place on Friday, Oct. 22 against Michigan Tech University on the home field.