Quick Hits 11/8

Holly Bihlman, Sports Editor

Women’s Volleyball shuts out Purdue Northwest

During the weekend, the Grand Valley State University (16-8) women’s volleyball team defeated Purdue Northwest (2-22) in all three sets fo the second time this season in their penultimate game of regular play.

Senior Ali Thompson led the team with seven kills in set one for the 25-19 win while freshman Julia Blaney led the team with 11 digs. In set two, senior Abby Graham had five kills right in front of junior Sarah Wight with four kills, taking the 25-15 win. In the last set of the game senior Kaily Grulke split ten kills with Wight for another 25-19 win.

Wight left the game with 13 kills and three blocks, Thompson with nine kills, Graham with eight kills, three blocks an 10 digs, and junior Rachel Jacquay finished with 40 assists.

The Lakers return to the courts one last time before the GLIAC Tournament begins to face Parkside University for the second time this season, hoping to repeat their previous 3-0 win over the Rangers.

Men’s Club Hockey defeats Davenport and Oakland, advancing record to 6-8

Last week, the Grand Valley State University men’s club hockey team took on Davenport University at Griff’s Georgetown Wednesday, Nov. 4 and Oakland University Saturday, Nov. 6 at Walker Ice Arena. The team was able to defeat both opponents, now facing a full week of practices and rest before their matchup with Oakland again on Nov. 19.

On Wednesday, sophomore wing Sam Lechel started the scoring off for the Lakers early three minutes into play. Davenport returned the favor with two more goals in the first period before Lechel’s second goal of the night in the second. Junior wing Shane Haggerty scored two of his own goals in the second sandwiching another Davenport goal, followed by Lechel’s third goal in the net to complete his first hat-trick of the season. Junior center Evan Chomchai and junior wing Zach Borchardt also contributed two goals in the third period for the end score of 7-4. Freshman Josh Suzio added in three assists as well, all on Lechel’s goals.

Saturday, the Lakers took on Oakland, starting the game off was Suzio’s goal towards the end of the first period, followed by another Laker goal form Chomchai before Oakland put one in the net just before the end. Sophomore center Chris Dundas was the only scorer of the second period.

The high-scoring third period was started off by Oakland just one minute into play and the Lakers would take turns scoring with Oakland for the next three goals. Chomchai, Haggerty and Borchardt would all score before the end of the game, stopping the clock with a final score of 6-3.

Junior wing Zach Kippe was also voted Great Lakes Collegiate Hockey League Player of the Week for his two goals against Calvin University for their first win against the Knights this season.

The Lakers look to continue working this week before their second matchup against Oakland next Friday, Nov. 19 at Griff’s Georgetown.