A&E Briefs 11/22

Mary Dupuis, Arts & Entertainment Editor

GV music department holds numerous concerts as semester comes to a close

Students in Pablo Mahave-Veglia’s chamber music class as well as the GVSU Early Music Ensemble will be performing their fall semester concerts in coming weeks. 

The Chamber Music Recital will be held in the Sherman van Solkema Recital Hall on Monday, Nov. 29 at 7:30 p.m. 

The Early Music Ensemble Concert will also take place in the Sherman van Solkema Recital Hall, but on Thursday, Dec. 2 at 7:30 p.m.

Wealthy Theatre in Grand Rapids to host Thanksgiving movie night

Wealthy Theatre in Grand Rapids is showing the film, “Planes, Trains and Automobiles” in their Wege Auditorium in celebration of the holiday season. 

On Tuesday, Nov. 23 doors will open at 7 p.m. and the John Hughes’ 1987 film will begin at 8 p.m.

The classic comedy features Steve Martin who plays Neal Page, a high-strung marketing executive, alongside John Candy who plays Del Griffith, a kind-hearted (but annoying) shower curtain ring salesman.  

The two spend three days together encountering one issue after another in an attempt to get Neal home to Chicago in time to spend Thanksgiving with his family.

The film is rated R and has a run time of an hour and a half. 

It is $8 for general admission and $6 for CMC and Wealthy Theatre members. 

GV Art Gallery installs Artposts on Pew Campus

The Grand Valley State University Art Gallery recently installed Artposts on the Pew Campus in Grand Rapids. 

Artposts are outdoor, miniature art galleries that will remain on campus through 2022 and feature new artwork every few months. 

The Artposts were organized in collaboration with the Avenue for the Arts, and will feature art curated by the students of GVSU’s Fall 2021 ART 392 Curatorial Studio course until Dec. 5. 

Grand Rapids Downtown Market brings back outdoor eating huts 

The Grand Rapids Downtown Market is home to more than 20 food merchants for indoor and outdoor dining. 

Recently, the market brought back their outdoor huts for the public’s winter dining desires. 

The huts are heated and available for use downtown throughout the winter months. Visitors are welcome to use the huts as their own private outdoor space under the Market shed. 

The market is open seven days a week, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sunday. 

No reservations are needed to use the huts. 

Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. installs new artwork

Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. recently installed a new statue at the corner of Lyon and Monroe. 

The statue, created by international artist Jaume Plensa, required a construction crew of workers to assemble and install it.