Arts Briefs 1/10

Sabrina Edwards, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Decorate mugs with the Honors Student Council

Wednesday Jan. 12 students can join the Honors Student Council in decorating coffee mugs. The event is from 8 to 9 p.m. in Niemeyer multipurpose room. The event is free to attend.

Skate at Van Andel Arena

There are two open skating sessions at the Van Andel Arena on Tuesday Jan. 11 and Sunday Jan. 16. Both dates have three skating sessions. The first is from 2 to 3:30 p.m. followed by a 4 to 5:30 p.m. and finally a 6 to 7:30 p.m. All skaters are encouraged to wear a mask when not on the ice, regardless of vaccination status. Admission is free to skate as well as rentals. The public skating has been temporarily moved to the Van Andel while Rosa Parks Circle is being renovated.

Concert under the stars

The Grand Rapids Public Museum is hosting another concert in their planetarium. This is in partnership with three West Michigan musicians and visual artists. The music will be performed while spectators view the art broadcasted on the dome. One of the bands that will be performing at this is local band Normal Mode, a Grand Rapids trio who write lo-fi music about space travel. Tickets are $20 and the event is taking place Jan. 13 at 6 p.m. With a planetarium ticket attendees also have access to the first two floors of the museum which includes the “Bats: Masters of the Night” and the “Streets of Old Grand Rapids” exhibits. The event will take place in two segments with a brief intermission in between.

Watch the World of Winter performances

Friday Jan. 14 there will be two chances for viewers to see live outdoor performances. One being their Popup Performer Night and the other being a live beatboxer. The popup performer is not announced beforehand but will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. Those who’re looking to attend should expect to explore the area to locate the performer. The other event is a performance from a local beatboxer, Ozealous, on the Gillett Bridge from 7 to 8 p.m.

Have fun at the ice park

There’s an ice park that will be lasting until Jan. 15 at 555 Monroe Ave. This event is reoccurring and runs from 10 to 11 a.m. There will be regular lawn games with an icy twist. Those who attend can play frozen shuffleboard, Plinko, foosball, chess, checkers, corn hole and putt-putt. All of the games are made of ice completely and will be left out until they melt. There will also be a throne made entirely of ice for attendees to take pictures on.