Quick Hits 1/18

Holly Bihlman, Sports Editor

Men’s Basketball splits weekend games

With a few issues coming back from winter break regarding COVID-19, the Grand Valley State University men’s basketball team (10-3) was able to play both of their opponents this past weekend on Jan. 13 and 15. Facing off against Ferris State University (12-3) on Thursday, the Lakers were unable to secure a win against their rival team, losing 76-83, followed by a win against Lake Superior State (9-4) 82-59 on Saturday.

These were the first DII matchups for GVSU since Dec. 20, moving their record in the GLIAC up to 4-2. 

On Thursday, the Bulldogs got off to a fast start going up 13-8 in the first half. The Lakers caught up on a 12-3 run to tie the score after a made jumper from senior Jake Van Tubbergen halfway through the first. Both teams exchanged buckets for GVSU to gain their first lead of the night thanks to a three-point make by senior Deleon Brown, making the score 29-28.

Going into the second half, both teams would go back-and-forth trading baskets. Ferris State opened its lead to seven, with 18:14 left in the game. GVSU went on an 8-2 run to tie the game again, taking a two-point lead 49-51 after a made jumper from senior Jordan Harris. 

The game came down to the wire as it remained within five points until a barrage of three-point makes from the Bulldogs put the game out of reach, giving Ferris State the 83-76 victory. 

Saturday’s game was a much different story, as the Lakers would take an impressive 82-59 win over Lake Superior State. The Lakers found themselves up early 17-16 in the opening half.

Lake Superior State went on a 12-4 run after a three-point make from Malek Adams to close out the half. Adams made a long-jumper and cut the Laker lead 38-35 going into the break.

With 9:39 left in the second half, Van Tubbergen made a jumper to put GVSU up 13, making the score 61-48. Lake Superior State was unable to come back from the point deficit, resulting in a win for GVSU 82-59, bringing their overall record up to 10-3.

The Lakers will continue their season with two away games this week on Jan. 20 and 22 against Michigan Tech University and Northern Michigan University.

GV Esports club hosts grand opening competition

This Tuesday, Jan. 18, the Grand Valley State University Esports club will host Davenport University for an exhibition Rocket League competition in the brand new Laker Esports Center. Equipped with Alienware gaming technology, televisions outside the room on the first floor of Kirkhof for viewing, and first year head coach Chris Bilski, the event is setting up to be an exciting unveiling of the Esports club’s skills.

In previous years, the club has never been able to host an in-person event due to the remote nature of video gaming, but with all GVSU students faculty and staff welcome to watch on Tuesday, coach Bilski and his team are hoping to open up a new chapter for Esports at GVSU.