Quick Hits 2/21

Holly Bihlman, Sports Editor

GV track and field successfully closes out regular season 

This past week, the Grand Valley State University track and field team hosted their final tune-up meet on Feb. 18, claiming over 20 top-5 finishers on the men’s and women’s teams. With a total of 15 men and 15 women placing in the top-20 in the nation after a long regular season, GVSU is more than ready to compete in the GLIAC Championships this weekend.

Of the highlights from the tune-up meet, freshman shot-put thrower Matt Thomas threw his personal-best distance, 17.80m, placing him sixth in the nation and second in the event. Senior Hunter Harding, who is currently fifth in the nation for the men’s weight throw, thew a 19.97m, placing first.

Taking all top-five spots of the women’s team for the shot put, junior Emma Richards took first with 14.39m, followed by junior Elizabeth Pyles in second with a personal-best of 14.24m for 17th in the nation. Freshman Mackenzie Bohrer took third, sophomore Rette Thorns took fourth and sophomore Alaina Omonode took fifth, who also placed first in the weight throw at 17.71m.

The pole vault event on both teams was successful for GVSU, starting with three women placing in the top five. Senior Elli Kimes placed second at 4.09m who is ranked second in the nation as well for her personal-best of 4.16m, with senior Carley Livingston in fourth and junior Kassidie Stimmel in fifth. On the men’s side, sophomore Jacob Krutsch earned first place and best on the team this season with his height of 4.75m.

With 15 men and 15 women in the top-20 spots in the nation on each team, the Lakers will host the GLIAC Championships starting Feb. 26-27 before the NCAA DII Indoor National Championship in March.

GV tennis teams host successful weekend games

The Grand Valley State University men’s and women’s tennis teams both earned wins this past week, with the women’s season improving to 4-2 and the men’s to 6-1.

The women competed against Walsh College on Feb. 19, sweeping the doubles matches. The first match ended in a 6-3 win for seniors Marily Cannellopoulos and Marija Leko, the second a 6-1 win for senior Vera Griva and sophomore Vasileia Griva and the third a 6-1 win for junior Taylor Barrett and freshman Estefania Hernandez.

Leko, Barrett, Vaselia Griva and Hernandez all earned wins in the singles matches to walk away with the victory.

On the men’s team, the Lakers swept the meet entirely defeating Walsh 7-0. For the doubles point, sophomore Freddy Cossio and graduate Tomas Oliveira won the second match 7-6 with senior Martin Matov and junior Sean Miller earning the third win 6-3.

Graduate student Josep Canyadell, Miller, Oliveira, Matov, Cossio and senior Sebastian Arce all earned wins in the singles matches, shutting out Walsh.

The women’s team will host Grace College on Saturday, Feb. 26 while the men will travel to Mobile, Alabama early March to take on Spring Hill College.