Quick Hits 2/28

Holly Bihlman, Sports Editor

Softball season starts on a five game win streak

The Grand Valley State University (5-0) women’s softball team swept the Lewis Dome Invitational in Rosemont, Illinois to kick off their spring season over the weekend. Starting on Feb. 24, the Lakers took on University of Minnesota-St. Moorhead (2-6).

Returning their all-star redshirt junior pitcher Hannah Beatus, the Lakers won 11-2 and followed Thursday’s games up with a no-hitter on Feb. 25 against McKendree University (4-6), 9-0. The Lakers then took on William Jewell University (0-3) for their second game of the day winning a near shutout game 10-1.

To wrap up the invitational the Lakers faced Truman State University (3-7) for another no-hitter game, 12-0 and closed out the weekend with a much tighter game against Winona State University (8-3) 6-5.

Moving forward with their season, the team will travel to Winter Haven, Florida for the Spring Trip where they’ll face 12 teams March 6-12.

Men’s DIII club hockey team wins MCHC Championships

The Grand Valley State University (26-3) men’s DIII club hockey team started their Michigan Colligate Hockey Conference (MCHC) Championships on Feb. 25 against the University of Michigan’s (16-14) DII team.

Starting off the scoring for the Lakers, forward Timmy Baldwin put the first shot in the back of the net in the first period and another in the second, followed by forward Steve Meyers’ to put the score up 3-0.

One goal from Michigan in the third and one last goal from forward Jack Meyers would end the game 4-1 and the Lakers moved on to the finals to face off against Hope College’s (29-0-1) DIII team.

With a slow start to the game, there were no goals scored in the first period until Hope finally put one in seven minutes into the period. The Lakers rebuttal with two goals in the second from Baldwin and Jack Myers to put the score up 2-1. Hope came back with one more goal in the third to tie the game at the end of regulation, which was wrapped up by forward Brenden Ramboer for the double-overtime win.

GV passes $14.1 million expansion to Fieldhouse Arena

Since 1968, the Grand Valley State University Fieldhouse Arena has been the building that student-athletes, coaches and fans have used for basketball, volleyball, swim and dive and other club sports like wrestling, dance and cheerleading among many others. The long-overdue renovations were decided last week on Feb. 19 during a board meeting and are set to begin in April.

With a 22,280 square-foot expansion, the Fieldhouse is expected to tack on athletic training rooms, a three-mat gym, weight room, locker rooms for men and women athletes and additional offices for staff. The renovations are projected to last until August 2023 but will offer GVSU students, staff and athletes beneficial amenities and upgrades.