GV soccer dominates Panthers, extends win streak to six-straight

GVL / Bethann Long

Gabriela Garbey, Staff Writer

The Grand Valley State University women’s soccer team took on their crosstown rivals this past weekend as they defeated Davenport University 5-1 in a collective effort. 

Sept. 30 saw five different Lakers tally a goal on the scoreboard, as sophomore midfielder Nina Ferraro opened up the match just before the sixth minute (5:45) after lacing a shot attempt past multiple defenders to make it 1-0.

Soon after, a solid floating cross from fifth-year forward Kennedy Metzger found its way to senior forward Kennedy Bearden who put the ball into the goal at the 11:14 marker to give the Lakers a commanding 2-0 lead as the home crowd erupted in celebration.

The Panthers attempted to respond to the rather quick goals by GVSU, but were unable to take advantage of three corner kick opportunities that ended with saves by sophomore goalkeeper Kendall Robertson. 

Robertson commented on her efforts to protect the net as she continues to limit opponents from scoring often, mentioning that the individual efforts of her teammates instill a great deal of confidence into the team as a whole.

“Just as I do for the team, they do the same for me,” Robertson said. “When I’m calm and collected it eases them and bringing that confidence, that brings confidence to the team as well.”

The remainder of the first half had the Lakers’ name written all over it as GVSU controlled the offensive pace with multiple shot attempts on goal (10 in the first half, four corner kicks). However, the scoreboard still read 2-0 in favor of the Lakers as the match went into halftime.

Both teams came out of the half with aggressive efforts as one side attempted to force a comeback while the other looked to put the match to bed. 

Several shot attempts by the Lakers came up short, and it wasn’t until just past the 59th minute (59:06) that GVSU was able to put together a successful offensive attack as sophomore midfielder Emma Chudik found the inside of the goal after a resilient effort on an assist by junior forward Taylor Reid, 3-0.

Soon after the goal, Metzger subbed back into the match and wasted almost no time at all to put up a goal herself at the 67:26 marker after stealing the ball away from defenders and dribbling past the goalkeeper to put the Lakers up, 4-0.

Just a few minutes later, the Panthers responded with a drive of their own and were finally able to put the ball into the Lakers’ net. However, the celebrations would soon be met by disappointment as a sideline official ruled the Panthers offside, reversing the previous goal and putting the Lakers back up by four.

Frustrations were evident amongst the opposing team as DU would be issued a yellow card just three minutes after the offside call, allowing the Lakers to have another opportunity at the goal themselves. However, the Panthers channeled their frustration into a successful offensive attack, putting up their first and only goal of the match (77:23) off a deep shot attempt and bringing the score to 4-1. 

As the final moments of the match ticked away, a cheeky last-second goal (89:55) by the Lakers would make the final score 5-1 as graduate defender Riley O’Brien was assisted by fifth-year forward Chantel Carranza. 

“The last goal felt good after giving (up) one,” O’Brien said. “We lacked in our personal defending but came together as a team to get that last goal in.”

After a dominant showing against a conference rival, GVSU has maintained their first-place positioning in the GLIAC standings as they end a five-game home streak undefeated and extend their current winning streak to six-straight matches.

The Lakers are now 6-0-1 in conference action and are 8-1-2 overall on the season. Their next match will be at Michigan Tech University on Friday, Oct. 7 at 7 p.m.