Quick Hits 10/3

Anthony Clark Jr., Sports Editor

GV swimming and diving teams set to make a splash this weekend

Grand Valley State University men’s and women’s swim and dive program will commence its season in the Blue and White Intrasquad Invite this weekend.

Last season, the men’s team won the 2021-22 GLIAC Championships as the women’s team fell just short of the conference title themselves, going on to place third overall.

The Lakers will begin their season at home this Saturday, Oct. 8 starting at 1 p.m. at the GVSU Fieldhouse pool. 

Volleyball sweeps back-to-back GLIAC opponents

GVSU women’s volleyball finished a two-game homestand this past weekend as they defeated the University of Wisconsin-Parkside and Purdue University-Northwest (PNW).

The Sept. 30 matchup saw the Lakers beat the Parkside Rangers in a 3-0 sweep, as GVSU finished the regular season series against Parkside 2-0 overall. The sets finished 25-18, 25-17 and 25-20.

Junior middle blockers Sarah Wight (15) and Jaelianna Primus (8) led the team in kills as freshman setter Jordyn Gates followed close behind with seven of her own. Gates led the team in assists (18) as junior setter Rachel Jacquay followed it up with 17 assists.

GVSU added another win to the season on Oct. 1 after defeating PNW 3-0 as well; 25-12, 25-19 and 25-17.

Gates (10), freshman setter Meghan O’Sullivan (7) and junior outside hitter Karlie Kucharczyk (6) led the team in kills as freshman setter McKenzie Johnson (14) and sophomore libero Julia Blaney (11) led the team in assists.

The Lakers are now 12-5 and their next match will be at home against Ferris State on Saturday, Oct. 8 at 2 p.m.

Men’s and women’s XC return home after Live in Lou Classic

GVSU’s cross country programs continue to assert themselves as contenders for the national championship, as the men’s team secured first place in the 8k Gold and the women’s finished third overall in the 5k Gold.

Senior Tanner Chada led the men’s team individually, finishing first out of 301 runners as redshirt freshman Koby Fraza (15th) and junior Andrew Hylen (16th) were the next two Lakers to finish in the top 20.

Junior Natalie Graber was the first Laker for the women’s team to finish (sixth-place) out of 373 runners, followed by freshman Lauren Kiley and junior Klaudia O’Malley finishing 13th and 35th respectively.

In their final regular season meet of the season, the Lakers will travel to Peoria, Illinois to compete in the Bradley Pink Classic on Friday, Oct. 14.