GV women’s soccer shuts out Michigan Tech on the road

GVL / Bethann Long

Gabriela Garbey, Staff Writer

Grand Valley State University women’s soccer went on the road against Michigan Tech University (MTU), defeating the Huskies 2-0 to extend their winning streak to seven in a row and finish the season series 2-0 against the opponent.

Although the first half didn’t see a single goal from either team, the Lakers controlled the overall pace as the defensive line obstructed the Huskies from getting a single shot attempt off while GVSU sent five shot attempts that just couldn’t get past the opposing goalkeeper.

While senior forward Kennedy Bearden and junior midfielder Mackenzie Jones were the first of two Lakers to attempt a shot that would ultimately be deflected, the Huskies’ frustrations began to grow as a yellow card (warning) would be administered to the Huskies at the 31:12 marker that set up GVSU for another opportunity at the goal.

However, the Lakers were unable to monopolize on the opportunity as freshman midfielder Sophia Morgan couldn’t get her free kick attempt into the net.

Fifth-year forward Kennedy Metzger and graduate defender Riley O’Brien would also contribute in the attempt to get at least one goal for GVSU prior to the break, but their efforts would come up short as the halftime whistle sounded.

With the Lakers able to command the ball possession for the most part of the first half, the team knew what it was going to take in order to successfully put points on the board against an opponent they defeated two matches prior. 

GVSU came out of the halftime break with aggression as they continued to pester MTU’s defensive line, ultimately resulting in the second yellow card against the Huskies at the 50:22 mark.

Just under seven minutes later, freshman midfielder Sophia Morgan sent a corner kick over a sea of MTU defenders as the ball came in contact with Jones who sent the ball into the goal and gave the Lakers a 1-0 lead (57:53).

It wasn’t until roughly 15 minutes later that the Huskies were finally able to get their first and only goal attempt record on the box score (72:27) that soared well over the hands of sophomore goalkeeper Kendall Robertson, highlighting the monstrous performance put on display by the Lakers’ defensive line.

Head coach Katie Hultin commented on the efforts made by the team and how they used their experience from the previous matchup this season to prepare for the game.

“Based on the last game we played Tech, we knew we were going to have to move the ball quickly and be patient in the attack,” Hultin said. “I thought we played well and made the appropriate adjustments to create plenty of chances. I am proud of the team for finding a way to find the back of the net against a very disciplined Tech team.”

With the score still at 1-0 and the final minutes ticking off the game clock, the Lakers were able to sneak in a goal in the final minute of the match as freshman defender Kacy Lauer successfully scored at the 89:26 marker and secured the victory for the team, 2-0.

Lauer said she felt confident going into the game and understood what it would take in order for the team to come out on top of a familiar opponent. 

“After playing them once before already, we still had things we needed to improve on as a team this past week in order to prepare,” Lauer said. “We have been working on all different ways to attack and defend against the formations Tech plays hoping to exploit some of their weaknesses. We were more than ready and looking forward to a good battle.”

The Lakers are now 9-1-2 on the season and 7-0-1 in the GLIAC standings at No. 1 overall.

GVSU will look to extend its seven-game win streak in an away match against Northern Michigan on Sunday, Oct. 9 and close out the regular season series at 2-0 as they defeated the opponent last month.

Furthermore, GVSU has two more home games left in the regular season in the following week.

The first game will be the Lakers’ senior night against Saginaw Valley on Friday, Oct. 14 at 7 p.m, and the final home game will take place against Ferris State on Sunday, Oct. 16 at 1 p.m.