Quick Hits 10/17

Anthony Clark Jr., Sports Editor

Women’s golf finishes in top-five during nationals preview

Grand Valley State University attended the 2022 National Collegiate Athletic Association Nationals Preview last week where they placed fifth overall of 16-total teams.

The three-round event consisted of 87 different golfers, with all four sophomore Lakers on the team placing in the top-20 on the individual leaderboards as the team finished with a score of 927 (+63).

Olivia Stoll led the way once again as she fell into a tie for fifth-place with a score of 73 (+1). Megan Miron finished in a four-way tie for seventh as she shot a 74 (+2), Julia Sanchez placed in a three-way tie for 13th (score of 76, +4) and Paula Badino finished in a five-way tie for 16th overall with a score of 77 (+5). 

With the preview behind them, the Lakers are now scheduled to participate in their last invitational of the fall season in a 54-hole event at the Saint Leo Invite starting Monday, Oct. 17.

Swim and dive teams dominate in two-day meets

On Oct. 14, women’s swim sent athletes to compete against Hillsdale College, where they won in dominating fashion, 191-45. 

Friday also saw a mixture of women’s and men’s swimmers travel to Calvin College where yet another onslaught ensued as GVSU won 165-75.

The following day (Oct. 15), the swimmers from both sides hosted Hope College as the men’s team won 210-67 and the women’s team won 189-88.

GVSU’s next time out will be in Greenwood, Indiana against the University of Indianapolis (UIndy) on Saturday, Oct. 22.

Women’s tennis falls to Bucknell Bisons in single match

GVSU’s women’s tennis hosted Bucknell University on Oct. 15 where they fell 2-5 in a series of singles and doubles games.

The Lakers saw junior Sophia Hanover, sophomore Estefania Hernandez, and freshmen Rachel Sam, Leonie Leister, Rachel Sam, Ana Romero Gonzalez and Anna Soteras. 

Soteras and Sam were the only two individual performers to win their matchups, as both matchups finished at 6-1, 4-6 and 6-1 (Soteras), and 6-3, 3-6 and 7-6 (Sam). 

In doubles action, Leister and Hanover, Sam and Hernandez and Soteras and Gonzalez paired up with each other as all three duo pairs lost their matchups; 6-7 (Hernandez and Sam), 3-6 (Hanover and Leister) and 5-7 (Soteras and Gonzalez).

The match against Bucknell was the final scheduled match for the fall season as the women’s team will take a hiatus until the early spring season resumes.