Arts and Entertainment Briefs 11/7

Elizabeth Schanz, Arts and Entertainment Editor

GV Arts Celebration features professional dance company performance

As part of the GVSU Art Celebration, South Chicago Dance Theatre is set to perform on Nov. 7 at 7 p.m. in the Louis Armstrong Theatre in the Haas Center for Performing Arts. 

The performance is entitled “Energy | Power | Grace.” The company will be performing recently commissioned works that fuse classical and contemporary dance styles. 

Those interested in information are welcome to contact Carrie Brueck-Morris at [email protected].

Guest artist recital features pianist Oliver Jia

On Nov. 9 at 7:30 p.m. GVSU’s Department of Music, Theatre and Dance will be hosting a Guest Artist Recital featuring pianist Oliver Jia. 

Jia is a performer, teacher and researcher. Some groups he has performed with include the Orchestra of St. Luke’s, the Fort Worth Symphony and the China National Symphony.

Over two decades, Jia also has taught both solo piano and chamber at his private studio. Additionally, he has worked as a professor at the University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley and currently is an assistant professor of piano at Bilkent University. 

The event will take place in the Sherman van Solkema Recital Hall in the Haas Center for Performing Arts. 

New Music Ensemble concert

Undergraduate group New Music Ensemble will perform on Nov. 11 at 7:30 p.m. in the Louis Armstrong Theatre Lobby. 

The performance consists of commissioned works inspired by natural features such as the Great Basin National Parks, the Rocky Mountains, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon and Black Canyon of the Gunnison. 

The performance also features compositions from GVSU students Noah Bradley, Christian Glascock and Connor Piotrzkowski in addition to other composers. 

New Music Initiative concert

The New Music Initiative Concert will take place on Nov. 12 at 7 p.m. in the Louis Armstrong Theatre in the Haas Center for Performing Arts. 

This performance presents the work of a student-founded project that features three student chamber ensembles premiering the new pieces composed by Logan Rutledge, Adam Cuthbert and John Jansen. 

Each composer worked alongside the performers throughout the course of the semester to prepare for this performance.

For more information contact Steph Bueche at [email protected] or Christian Glascock at [email protected]