Arts and Entertainment Briefs 11/14

Elizabeth Schanz, Arts and Entertainment Editor

GV Theatre performs “Gloria” 

The GV Theatre program will be premiering its performance of “Gloria” on Nov. 18 at 7:30 p.m. in the Linn Maxwell Keller Black Box Theatre at the Haas Center for Performing Arts. Performances will run from Nov. 18 to Dec. 4. 

Written by Branden Jacobs-Jenkins, “Gloria” originally debuted off-Broadway and explores the ideas of working Americans and the workplace dynamics they interact with. This production was directed by visiting theatre professor Diane Machin. 

Tickets can be purchased online and range from $7 to $17 dollars and can be purchased online.

BFA student “Designed State of Mind” exhibit opening

The GVSU Visual Media Arts department will present an exhibition by BFA students titled “Designed State of Mind” on Nov. 14 in the GVSU Art Gallery located in the Haas Center for Performing Arts.

The works in the exhibit come from 12 graduating seniors who created projects that tackle various design aspects. Some of the projects include magazines, stained glass, apps, packaging and feature websites. 

There will be a reception for the exhibit on Nov. 17 that will take place from 5-7 p.m. 

Deos Contemporary Ballet Performance in Grand Rapids

Deos Contemporary Ballet presents “EPILOGUE Series 22” which will take place Nov. 18 and 19 at 7 p.m. and Nov. 20 at 2 p.m at a photo studio in Grand Rapids.  

Deos Contemporary Ballet was formed in 2018 and works to share dance with the Grand Rapids community and working dancers through performances and dance film projects. Within 2022-23 they will be partaking in blackbox and collaborative outreach performances.

The “EPILOGUE Series 22” performance will feature pieces including a world premiere of Deos Artistic Director Tess Sinke whose piece tackles grief, loss and light that comes with change. The repertory also consists of a piece choreographed by Seyong Kim that was performed by the company during the summer. 

Tickets are $30 each. More details about the location can be found on the company’s website. The company is also working to screen dance projects that will be released during December.